Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 4 "The Last of the Starks"

MarkB

Legend
There's a general problem on the show with the incredible accuracy of bows overall. Last episode we got a scene where Arya shooting a wight threatening Sandor was treated as an amazing shot. But was it really?

Jamie's archers were able to hit a flying dragon. Theon was shooting ravens out of the air at the Twins. Ramsay just generally. All of those are elite archers, but have we actually seen anyone doing badly with a bow? Aside from Edmure, which was played for laughs.

I had the same issue with the Hobbit movies. In Lord of the Rings Legolas's accuracy is at least played as being exceptional, but during the scenes like the barrel-run battle, both elves and dwarves manage ridiculous shots and moves routinely enough that they coordinate them with each other in the full expectation of being able to pull them off 100% reliably, and Bard is considered a failure by the folks of Laketown for having been unable to hit a fast-moving dragon in a firestorm using a fixed-emplacement ballista.

My wife and I were shouting at Jon for just walking away from Ghost. But I imagine that it probably would’ve been more expensive to have a real person interact with a CGI wolf, so they did it that way to cut costs.

I actually liked this episode quite a bit. To me, it got back to the feel of the earlier seasons, with Daenerys having been moving towards a more morally questionable stance, and terrible things happening with a strong emotional impact.

Also, I can’t help but feel that the scene of Varys coughing on the beach, his legs clearly visible, was a direct jibe at the whole hilarious-and-ridiculous “Varys is a Merman” fan theory.

With Rhaegal dead and Ghost staying far to the north, I suspect the series is slowly moving towards the death of magic in Westeros. The White Walkers are gone. Both red priests are dead. I’m betting on Jon dying for good by the end, along with Drogon. Qyburn and The Mountain, too.

MarkB

Legend
I'm betting on Jon re-taking his oath to the Night Watch, renouncing all claim to the throne, and heading back to his true home to become King in the North.

The real North, beyond the Wall, outside the Seven Kingdoms, beyond Danaerys's realm. And probably half the people of the northern kingdoms will follow him.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
In the words of my father:

"You know the real reason why Arya said no to Gendry is because she's all about the reality of the situation. Dany can't make him a lord. She's always assuming things are true before they are. She's not the queen, and it's possible she never will be."

59345462_10107096340723195_7337606180996382720_o.jpg

Apparently Winterfell has a Starbucks.

... and this is honestly the least stupid thing about the whole episode.

MarkB

Legend
In the words of my father:

"You know the real reason why Arya said no to Gendry is because she's all about the reality of the situation. Dany can't make him a lord. She's always assuming things are true before they are. She's not the queen, and it's possible she never will be."

That's assuming that Arya gives a damn whether he's a lord or not. That aside, I appreciate the sentiment - lots of titles being handed out as prizes before the contest is won.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Divide and conquer? If either Jon or Dany dies, the other becomes stronger as most of the disputes between their sides evaporate.
I doubt Cersei knows who Jon really is at this point.
She knows he is the nominal leader of the North. And she should know from rumours and spies that there are divided loyalties among their people as to who's really in charge?

We know that they have spies in the north as Qyburn knew really fast about the army of the dead heading towards Winterfell.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm betting on Jon re-taking his oath to the Night Watch, renouncing all claim to the throne, and heading back to his true home to become King in the North.

The real North, beyond the Wall, outside the Seven Kingdoms, beyond Danaerys's realm. And probably half the people of the northern kingdoms will follow him.

I can see them splitting the North and South, but not his re-taking of the oath. There's no wall and no White Walkers, so no need for the watch, and a king needs heirs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases