Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 4 "The Last of the Starks"

pukunui

Legend
Bran really needs to *do* something already! What’s the point of him having all those magic powers if he isn’t going to use them?

A ballista can have a huge range, but there's no way they would be that accurate against a moving target at that distance, and that you'd be able to fire them before Dany spotting that entire fleet. Euron's fleet basically materialized out of nowhere. That's not how that works. Plus you need time to get into the right position with the ship, and aim that thing. But he basically shot the dragon before coming into view. That is plot convenience at its worst.

And its not like there aren't easy ways to write around that. I had a big surprise attack in my pirate campaign, that came from a dense fog bank. A small enemy fleet waited on the foggy side of an island, to surprise the players. But even then it took time to get into firing range. So the enemy ships used the wind direction to get the advantage on the players.

It also feels like we've reached the point in this series where everything has become very predictable. I'm still hoping they'll pull a big twist from their hat, but so far the plot has been very by the numbers.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
A ballista can have a huge range, but there's no way they would be that accurate against a moving target at that distance, and that you'd be able to fire them before Dany spotting that entire fleet. Euron's fleet basically materialized out of nowhere. That's not how that works. Plus you need time to get into the right position with the ship, and aim that thing. But he basically shot the dragon before coming into view. That is plot convenience at its worst.

And its not like there aren't easy ways to write around that. I had a big surprise attack in my pirate campaign, that came from a dense fog bank. A small enemy fleet waited on the foggy side of an island, to surprise the players. But even then it took time to get into firing range. So the enemy ships used the wind direction to get the advantage on the players.

It also feels like we've reached the point in this series where everything has become very predictable. I'm still hoping they'll pull a big twist from their hat, but so far the plot has been very by the numbers.

Well apparently there is a twist but its terrible. Last 3 basic plot points have been leaked, I've avoided reading about it but have heard bits and pieces. The show started going down hill season 5, picked up a bit with 6 and then fell off a cliff with the pacing and stuff being a mess. THis episode loved the 1st half or 2/3rds felt like an older season, then it kind of got silly.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I think that is kind of the point. Brans story arch is really done though.

In the show, sure. In the books(if anymore ever get written) I'm convinced it will be bigger. His abilities ruin stories. If he actually used them, Cersei would never stand a chance, because he would know where her forces are and what she is planning at all times, and then convey that info to his side. They have to make him a lump in order to create any suspense in the story.

A simple, "Hey Jaime, Bron is coming up the North Road in 2 hours and 12 minutes with a crossbow to kill you and Tyrion" would have been useful, but destroyed any suspense regarding what will Bron do. The same with the ambush at the island.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

I'm also tired of all the main cast death fake-outs. It's basically, fake, fake, fake, fake, death of minor character, fake, fake, fake, death of another minor character. They've taking the Martin's willingness to kill major character off and are using it as a weapon against viewers.

“Hey Jaime, Bron is coming up the North Road in 2 hours and 12 minutes with a crossbow to…actually, I’ve no idea what he’s coming up here to do or why. I don't think he does, either.”

But seriously, my take on Bran’s powers is that with the ability to see all of time, it’s like trying to sift through sand to see something specific. Also, maybe since there’s some sort of tie to the weirwoods, it gets harder to see stuff when you go further south? Or you know, he didn't see it because it's what the writers needed to happen.

A simple, "Hey Jaime, Bron is coming up the North Road in 2 hours and 12 minutes with a crossbow to kill you and Tyrion" would have been useful, but destroyed any suspense regarding what will Bron do. The same with the ambush at the island.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The new scorpions are far more powerful than I initially thought. Having watched the sea scene again it looks like Tyrion's ship wasn't even being targeted. It was anchored behind the ship with Grey Worm, and it looks to be getting hit through the other ship. That's a railgun.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Yeah. Even I feel they are slipping. Those scorpions are as strong as the writer's needed them to be, and I guess they need to try to push Danny to the edge to do something for some sort of suspense and confrontational drama llama.

Ugh.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases