How rare is this weapon in our campaign?

What Level is this Weapon?

• Rare

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • Very Rare

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Legendary

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Poll closed .

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I received a magic weapon in our campaign, and was wondering rare it is...hopefully I don't screw up the poll...

It is a magical two handed sword. In our campaigns, we roll for initiative every round and two handed swords are heavy and two handed, so a -4 to initiative (so frequently my initiative is in the negatives). Magic weapons don't affect initiative.

+1 Two Handed Sword with the following modifications:

-An extra +1 to damage (so a total of +1 to hit, +2 to damage)
-The person it is attuned to learns Dwarvish (I don't know what happens if you're not attuned; if it is retained or forgotten)
-One additional action surge per long rest

A standard +1 weapon is "uncommon". I was wondering if you think this is a "rare", "very rare" or "legendary" item based on the above information. Plot-wise it is a legendary item (which is great for plot development and the campaign), but I thought I'd ask a fun question

In our game it would be very rare because permanent magical weapons are rare to begin with. The extras it has, especially the Action Surge, pushes it to very rare. As you say, plot-wise it can be legendary if it is a unique item--nothing wrong with that.

In a game where magic is more common, I would only rate it as rare, however.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Judging purely on power level, this is at best a rare. It's a bit worse than a sword +2, which is also a rare.

Toledo

Explorer
We've got two campaigns going, and the other one (Rappanathik) seems to have higher level equipment.

In this campaign, the equipment doesn't seem to be so high level...the barbarian received a giant slayer axe (might be a halberd, don't remember) and that is also a relic weapon of his family.

In this campaign, I'm a fighter, so that's why I called it a +1 action surge weapon...I don't know what would happen if it went to someone else. I personally think it's a "rare" weapon right now, but am hoping it can get some extra power at higher levels...logically my character can't give up a legendary weapon that has a long backstory. I received it at the beginning of 5th level and I'm almost at 6th now. Perhaps by 9th level, it can gain another +1. Another Action Surge would be great.

aco175

Legend
Heck, I would give this out to a 3-5th level PC. I tend to not give out basic +1 weapons and tend to give +0 weapon with some of these things.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Heck, I would give this out to a 3-5th level PC. I tend to not give out basic +1 weapons and tend to give +0 weapon with some of these things.
I like simple weapons like a magic longsword that can light up on demand. Still counts as a magic weapon to overcome resistance but otherwise has no other bonuses. Great weapon for low level adventurers.

Very rare.
Not on an item level base but on actually dinding such a weapon.

+1 weapon check
+1 extra damage check
Extra action surge: double check.
The extra action surge is really flexible and allows you to cast two big spells if you happen to be a wizard that wields magic weapons, a multiclassed eldritch knight/wizard might really like that one.
Even a single classed eldritch knight might find it a great addition to its arsenal.
If it is not as restrictive and allows any class to action surge, I'd say your paladin just got a real big upgrade. At level 5 we speak about a nova round (assuming all hits) of 8d6+24+10d8+maybe 4d4 from divine favor.
If you are an avenger you make all those attacks mit advantage.
So against an usual high AC of 18 you will hit 3 of 4 attacks on average.
That makes it 6d6+18+8d8 damage assuming you used your bonus action to mark.
On average that makes 75 damage in a single round of combat.

-4 initiative is the DMG optional rule so nothing special regarding that weapon.

Judging purely on power level, this is at best a rare. It's a bit worse than a sword +2, which is also a rare.

No. 5% bonus to hit is not as good as an extra action surge.
Even if you get it at level 1, you need to make 20 attacks per short rest so that an extra +1 to hit will make a difference. An extra attack of a fighter usually hits with more than 50% chance. So you need more than 10 attack that the extra +1 to hit is better than an extra chance to hit.That proportion actually does not change a lot with extra attacks. It is even better though, because you might use it for extra movement so you actually might make an attack when the +2 weapon wielder does nothing. I also ignored the possibility of hitting twice as much and I ignored advantage and crits.
I don't know about your campaign, but getting an extra attack when you want seems better to me than having chance determine when you hit that one more time.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
No. 5% bonus to hit is not as good as an extra action surge.
Even if you get it at level 1, you need to make 20 attacks per short rest so that an extra +1 to hit will make a difference. An extra attack of a fighter usually hits with more than 50% chance. So you need more than 10 attack that the extra +1 to hit is better than an extra chance to hit.That proportion actually does not change a lot with extra attacks. It is even better though, because you might use it for extra movement so you actually might make an attack when the +2 weapon wielder does nothing. I also ignored the possibility of hitting twice as much and I ignored advantage and crits.
I don't know about your campaign, but getting an extra attack when you want seems better to me than having chance determine when you hit that one more time.
It's an extra action per long rest, not short rest. If it was short rest, I would rate it ahead of the sword +2.

If I were a gish, I would probably favor the flexibility of the extra action over the +1 to hit, but I personally tend to favor flexibility over purely numeric concerns. But there's no way the sword as written is anything other than a rare. (Again, judging rarity on mechanical power, not on campaign narrative considerations.)

It's an extra action per long rest, not short rest. If it was short rest, I would rate it ahead of the sword +2.

If I were a gish, I would probably favor the flexibility of the extra action over the +1 to hit, but I personally tend to favor flexibility over purely numeric concerns. But there's no way the sword as written is anything other than a rare. (Again, judging rarity on mechanical power, not on campaign narrative considerations.)

Oh sorry, you are right. With only 1/long rest it is about as powerful in the hands of a fighter.
For a paladin who could do a nova round once per day I´d still rate it higher, because that is really the paladin´s thing and for him it does not really make a difference if it is short or long rest. But I now share your opinion and rate is as rare.

Remove ads