D&D 5E Greyhawk is the official setting for Ghosts of Saltmarsh

So, yes, it is very Greyhawk, and doesn't even attempt to quietly pretend it's setting-neutral. It is, bluntly, unabashedly tied to the setting.

From what I've read so far in the general overview of Saltmarsh and the surrounding region, besides the obvious links to Keoland and the Sea Princes, there are references to NPCs from Ket, the Great Kingdom, and even from the lands of Iuz. Deities mentioned in the parts I've read so far are Procan, Obad-Hai, Erythnul, Iuz (again), Vecna, and St Cuthbert.

The tiefling NPC might make Greyhawk traditionalists balk at first, but her background fits in perfectly well with the setting (having to do with a certain half-demon demigod far to the north...)

The tiefling NPC might make Greyhawk traditionalists balk at first, but her background fits in perfectly well with the setting (having to do with a certain half-demon demigod far to the north...)

Technically, since Greyhawk is a "core rules" setting, tieflings and dragonborn should be available. And it's not that the setting has any lore preventing them, it's just that the original setting petered out before those races became core.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, yes, it is very Greyhawk, and doesn't even attempt to quietly pretend it's setting-neutral. It is, bluntly, unabashedly tied to the setting.

From what I've read so far in the general overview of Saltmarsh and the surrounding region, besides the obvious links to Keoland and the Sea Princes, there are references to NPCs from Ket, the Great Kingdom, and even from the lands of Iuz. Deities mentioned in the parts I've read so far are Procan, Obad-Hai, Erythnul, Iuz (again), Vecna, and St Cuthbert.

NewbieDM just put out a podcast interview with Mearls, who wrote all of the relevant lore text: his stated goal was to provide plenty of flavor, but such that could be easily reskined

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It is even worse.

And don’t call me Shirley.

✈️

Ya know, I don't think there is a single reference, meme, or other such little cultural artifact, in existence that I am more tired of than that one.

Especially in text medium, wherein it just makes no sense at all.

That totally fun and not at all buzzkilling aside...aside, those articles are great!

jasper

Rotten DM
Ya know, I don't think there is a single reference, meme, or other such little cultural artifact, in existence that I am more tired of than that one.

That totally fun and not at all buzzkilling aside...aside, those articles are great!
Don't have a cow man! you is such a buzz kill :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

I understand you feel lowkey13 could have “chosen….wisely” but instead chose to be devilish about it. It may seem he was saying “I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum." But you know, “The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist," so I am going to deny he’s being devilish and suggest he was just doing the ole, “I aim to misbehave” thing.

I felt your reaction was a bit over the top. It sounded like you were going all, "Ho-ho-ho. Now I have a machine gun," and considering taking off and nuking the site from orbit as “it’s the only way to be sure.” And under those circumstances, "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun." Or maybe “I’m your Huckleberry,” I remain unsure. But I am going to try to set things right.

It’s not "Inconceivable” that he was trying proclaim “Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries," but really I think lowkeys reference was “mostly harmless.” But if you disagree perhaps "The only winning move is not to play."

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
I understand you feel lowkey13 could have “chosen….wisely” but instead chose to be devilish about it. It may seem he was saying “I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum." But you know, “The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist," so I am going to deny he’s being devilish and suggest he was just doing the ole, “I aim to misbehave” thing.

I felt your reaction was a bit over the top. It sounded like you were going all, "Ho-ho-ho. Now I have a machine gun," and considering taking off and nuking the site from orbit as “it’s the only way to be sure.” And under those circumstances, "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun." Or maybe “I’m your Huckleberry,” I remain unsure. But I am going to try to set things right.

It’s not "Inconceivable” that he was trying proclaim “Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries," but really I think lowkeys reference was “mostly harmless.” But if you disagree perhaps "The only winning move is not to play."

giphy.gif
Jeez Mistwell, quit trying to make fetch happen!

Remove ads