D&D 5E Greyhawk is the official setting for Ghosts of Saltmarsh

I hope that the Adventurers League rules will still allow for it to be set in Greyhawk – I’ve been planning on running this with my AL group after Tomb of Annihilation. But I’ve think that I am destined to disappointment.

I mean, I love the Forgotten Realms and all, but I’ve been feeling a Greyhawk itch of late.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You all are so enamoured with your GH vs FR measuring contest that you ignore that fact this has a MYSTARA placement section!

New setting book in 2020. I'm calling it.

That was my initial thought, too: technically, we already have a licensed 5E version of Mystara, in the Isle of Dread hardcover. I wouldn't be surprised if that factored into including Mystara here: set Saltmarsh in the Known World, use the Goodman Games Isle of the Deep scenario as a follow-up adventure for veteran sailor PCs.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
That was my initial thought, too: technically, we already have a licensed 5E version of Mystara, in the Isle of Dread hardcover. I wouldn't be surprised if that factored into including Mystara here: set Saltmarsh in the Known World, use the Goodman Games Isle of the Deep scenario as a follow-up adventure for veteran sailor PCs.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe some Known World (Mystara) setting information and maps (continental map), sort of like a gazetteer is included in OAR #2: Isle of Dread as was in the original publications.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe some Known World (Mystara) setting information and maps (continental map), sort of like a gazetteer is included in OAR #2: Isle of Dread as was in the original publications.

You are correct: not only that, there are three separate Known World Gazeeters, as the two reprints of the original have one each, and the 5E adaptation has all of the same material as well. In retrospect, I think the choice of Isle of Dread and the whole book was designed to play nicely into GoS.

I haven't followed anything about GH or FR since 2E days, so a question... has GH ever been officially updated since the days of Living Greyhawk? I know it gets mentioned a lot in the later editions, but has anyone actually updated it?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I haven't followed anything about GH or FR since 2E days, so a question... has GH ever been officially updated since the days of Living Greyhawk? I know it gets mentioned a lot in the later editions, but has anyone actually updated it?

Not really: other than Living Greyhawk stuff, it was just used for flavor text in 3.x books and Dungeon/Dragon magazine stuff.

Not really: other than Living Greyhawk stuff, it was just used for flavor text in 3.x books and Dungeon/Dragon magazine stuff.

okay. I have to admit, I always preferred the older versions of GH, everything before the Wars (I like to pretend they didn't happen). Mainly because GH was a very 'build it yourself' world that the PCs could actually have an affect on. FR was amazingly detailed, but there was always a lot of stuff going on that the PCs couldn't affect... which is one of the reasons I didn't like the whole GH Wars thing....

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases