Quick Question About Two-Weapon Fighting

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
If you are a 3rd level character (Barb 1 / Ranger 1 / Fighter 1) and you've got Two-Weapon Fighting, and you're using a light weapon in your off hand:

Do you ALWAYS get that extra, off-hand attack, even if you move more than 1 square?

i.e., a character using two weapons will always have at least 2 attacks per round?

Or am I missing something?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
If you are a 3rd level character (Barb 1 / Ranger 1 / Fighter 1) and you've got Two-Weapon Fighting, and you're using a light weapon in your off hand:

Do you ALWAYS get that extra, off-hand attack, even if you move more than 1 square?

i.e., a character using two weapons will always have at least 2 attacks per round?

Or am I missing something?
Usually, yes you would.

You get the second attack as long as:

1. You still get an action, with regular movement, you still get to take an action; and

2. Youv haven't done anything that already took up your bonus action (for example if you cast Hunter's Mark a bonus action spell, when you get spells, you can't also attack as a bonus action).

Len

Prodigal Member
This thread is tagged "[3.5]", so assuming Tellerian Hawke is asking about D&D 3.5 not 5e:

No, in 3.5 you cannot move and attack with both weapons in one round. You can only attack with both weapons if you do a full attack, which is a full-round action, and you cannot do both a full-round action and a move (except for a 5-foot step).

References:
d20 SRD:
Full-Round Actions
A full-round action requires an entire round to complete. Thus, it can’t be coupled with a standard or a move action, though if it does not involve moving any distance, you can take a 5-foot step.

Full Attack
If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon, or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks.

Also see the 3.5 Player's Handbook, p. 143.

Remove ads