D&D 5E The Charismatic Fighting "Hero" - Which Core Class does it Best?

Which Class does the "Warrior Hero" Archetype best?

• Battlemaster Fighter

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Paladin

Votes: 51 54.8%
  • Valor Bard

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • Other - Note in the Thread

Votes: 12 12.9%

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I might be tempted to gate PrCs behind secondary or even tertiary stats. That would help keep them late game and maybe force players to make a choice about build.

Regularguy

First Post
It is a very common fantasy troupe. The warrior hero on a quest. His charisma and drive draw in fellow travelers, and eventually he is leading a small group against the big bad.This has often been an awkward troupe in dnd terms for as long as charisma has been a dump stat for fighters. And yet in 5e there are some ways to make the charismatic fighter that inspires and is the true leader of the team work mechanically.In this poll, we want to judge which core class (no splats) with standard rules (no feats, magic items, etc) pulls off the sterotype best at 6th level.

I’d like to see how well a Knowledge Cleric would fit at 6th: he’d be fine in a straight fight, though with a knack for having foes flee or drop their weapons or whatever; and he’d excel at figuring out what people are thinking, and at tossing around suggestion effects; and he can advise folks on the wisest course of action (with general-purpose stuff like augury, plus specifics like find traps), and empower allies who think he’s on to something (aid, enhance ability, mass healing word); and he’s the guy who speaks the language and has the right proficiency at need (thanks to Blessings and Ages), and is well on his way to calling in big favors from someone he’s in the good graces of (Divine Intervention).

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I’d like to see how well a Knowledge Cleric would fit at 6th:
No Extra Attack at 5th is a strike against compared to the sub-classes in the poll.

Aside from that, it certainly sounds like a great support character doing the same sorts of things, but... is it doing them with CHA or magic to which CHA applies, or with magic that obviates CHA?

Remove ads