D&D 5E Blowing up my campaign

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
If you want to be a bit of a rat-bastard:

The wizard is apprehended in front of the PCs (by Maruts sounds pretty cool). Just when the situation seems to be resolved (either by negotiation, combat etc.) he then melts into a mound of snow (Simulacrum).

The Maruts then attempt to press the PCs to hunt down the real wizard. Kind of a sharp reminder that their dealing with powerful individuals on every side - with access to way too many resources.

That's cool.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Well, the "case" presented rests on a devil signatory putting forth a technicality because it serves its interests. That would be the lynchpin. You could go to court to argue it, but would need a good argument and support, so that's the adventure. Or, you could offer to get the claimant to withdraw by either intimidation or by giving it another way towards its goals. Or, you break into the secure vault in Mechanus and destroy/alter/steal the contract (which could then have really "interesting" consequences). Or, maybe the party thriws you for a loop and figures they have a better chance in the chaos if they free Tharizdun to start the unmaking of the cosmos.

I'll bear that in mind if/when I kick off a new campaign :) - at the moment, I'm just wanting to swap my dull predictable ending with something with a bit flash and bang. Something that'll last 6-8 sessions in total.

Oofta

Legend
As an alternative, if you don't want to jump from the underdark into the abyss is to go wild ... feywild that is. :) Have some fun with the ArchFey. Have Puck play games with the group, use Midsummer's Night Dream as inspiration. Go visit Baba Yaga.

In my campaign I use the feywild sparingly, but it's always full of exotic wonder, political intrigue and powerful forces that are using the PCs as pawns in some larger scheme. It's always been a land of wonder and beauty but also incredibly deadly and dangerous. Even the fey of the summer court can rip you to shreds, they'll just do with with a smile on their face.

As far as specifics, that depends so much on if you've ever used it before or how much. I pretty much stick with summer and winter courts, with a lot of inspiration from books like The Dresden Files and other fantasy novels. They present fey as not so much good or evil, but being alien and oftentimes inscrutable with motivations they never fully reveal. That, and the feywild is roughly a mirror of the real world but is often a more extreme version.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Well tonight it happened and the wish was made. I delivered the transition and waited for reactions from the other players... after a moment of “wtf just happened?!” they rolled with it and are now thoroughly invested in the new trajectory.

I had the cold sweats there for a moment I can tell you!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases