Ghosts of Saltmarsh: First Impressions - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Quote Originally Posted by rfkannen View Post
    Sounds like a great book! If you dont mind I am curius, does it say what gods are worshiped in a forgotten realms version of saltmarsh (especially if the acolyte variant has a fr equivalent)? I've been thinking about playing a cleric in an AL game and I'm curious what gods are active!

Thanks for the reviews!
    That would likely be the normal deities of the setting, given its suggested location along the Sword Coast, and substitute deities should be pretty easy to figure out even if the book doesn't specifically give a list. From the deities I've seen in the previews so far, you could make the following substitutions: St Cuthbert = Helm, Procan = Umberlee, Erythnul = Malar. Vecna could remain Vecna given his multiversal worship (you could go with Velsharoon, but there hasn't been any indication that he's back in 5e). There's some differences in nuance (Procan isn't quite as malicious as Umberlee, for example), but in general those conversions should be fine. Given that the most important Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms deities are both listed in the appendices of the Player's Handbook, it shouldn't be to hard to figure out any further substitutes should more deities be listed.
    XP Parmandur, Shiroiken gave XP for this post

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Im into it! But then again, I was excited for this alreadyIm into these revisited classics.
    XP Parmandur gave XP for this post

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrios1453 View Post
    Erythnul = Malar.
    I think you mean Myrkul. He's FR's god of death. Malar is the evil god of hunting and vicious beasts and the like.
    XP Azzy gave XP for this post

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Quote Originally Posted by pukunui View Post
    I think you mean Myrkul. He's FR's god of death. Malar is the evil god of hunting and vicious beasts and the like.
    No, I mean Malar. Both are gods of violence and slaughter. The Greyhawk equivalent of Myrkul as god of death would be Nerull, or possibly Wee Jas, although the latter has a very weird and eclectic group of godly domains (and her lawful alignment makes her closer to Kelemvor in some ways).
    XP Shiroiken gave XP for this post

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

I'm hoping my nature cleric will get some good use in this adventure. I thought there would be more underwater adventuring but it sounds like that is limited and the majority of the adventure is above water. Hopefully there will still be opportunities to use his animal abilities.

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrios1453 View Post
    No, I mean Malar. Both are gods of violence and slaughter. The Greyhawk equivalent of Myrkul as god of death would be Nerull, or possibly Wee Jas, although the latter has a very weird and eclectic group of godly domains (and her lawful alignment makes her closer to Kelemvor in some ways).
    You're right. I was confusing Erythnul with Nerull.

Time Agent (Lvl 24)

One question: does this book even try to give rules for missile-based ship-v-ship naval combat using ballistae or cannon?

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanefan View Post
    One question: does this book even try to give rules for missile-based ship-v-ship naval combat using ballistae or cannon?
    I wonder if they have rules for semi-automatic, gimbaled, radar tracking long range ship-borne quad-ballistae?

You know, as recently showcased on Game of Thrones, along with stealth ships and magic plot armour!
    Laugh Parmandur, Azzy, pukunui laughed with this post

Quote Originally Posted by timbannock View Post
    Are the Scarlet Brotherhood a faction for players, ala Zhentarim and such? Because they are pretty thoroughly baddies by my reading in 2E.
    The Scarlet Brotherhood absolutely don't parallel the Harpers, as the review indicated. They're Suel supremacists and are one of the key villain groups in the setting. They're very much akin to the Zhentarim or Thayans in Forgotten Realms. You could use them as a player faction if you were running an evil campaign and, I suppose, you could have a PC be a renegade, but in general they're adversaries, often secret and in the shadows.

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Verkuilen View Post
    The Scarlet Brotherhood absolutely don't parallel the Harpers, as the review indicated. They're Suel supremacists and are one of the key villain groups in the setting. They're very much akin to the Zhentarim or Thayans in Forgotten Realms. You could use them as a player faction if you were running an evil campaign and, I suppose, you could have a PC be a renegade, but in general they're adversaries, often secret and in the shadows.
    One of the preview images that's been circulating has some text about working with the Scarlet Brotherhood alongside the other factions in town against a greater threat (a Final Enemy).