Ghosts of Saltmarsh: First Impressions - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rfkannen View Post
    Sounds like a great book! If you dont mind I am curius, does it say what gods are worshiped in a forgotten realms version of saltmarsh (especially if the acolyte variant has a fr equivalent)? I've been thinking about playing a cleric in an AL game and I'm curious what gods are active!

Thanks for the reviews!
    The parallels between the Greyhawk and Realms pantheons are not exact but as you might suspect there are

Greyhawk had four main human cultures which provided gods: The Bakluni, Suel, Oeridian, and Flan, so there are often duplication among different gods. There's no notion of "portfolio" as in the Realms. In addition, there are "common" gods some of whom have no particular attachment to a particular culture. I forget the cultural origin of Keoland, but it's probably Oeridian. I don't really recall what gods would be common in the area but the older Greyhawk material which you can find fairly easily will say, at least to some degree.

Procan: God of the Sea (can't remember)
    Pelor: God of the Sun (Flan, Neutral Good, parallel to Lathander)
    Hieroneous: God of Law and Justice (Oeridian, Lawful Good, parallel to Torm)
    Erythnul: God of Slaughter (Oeridian, Chaotic Evil, parallel to Malar)
    Nerull: God of Death (Flan, Neutral Evil, parallel to Myrkul, maybe)
    Incabulos: God of Plague (not sure origin, Neutral Evil, parallel to Talona)
    Boccob: God of Magic (not sure origin, Neutral, parallel to Ao... maybe)
    Beory: Earth Mother (Flan, Neutral Good, parallel to Chauntea)
    St. Cuthbert: Righteousness (no culture, Lawful Neutral, parallel to Torm)
    etc. See here for more.

Depending on where things are set in the Greyhawk timeline, you can have different faiths be stronger or weaker and you can certainly have local variation. In Saltmarsh I'd suspect that Procan would be fairly commonly worshipped, along with some of the other common gods Beory and Pelor.

The evil gods aren't really worshipped, but more propitiated and their faith is illegal in most good to neutral lands, which Keoland certainly is. But Saltmarsh is kind of a backwater, so you could have secret cults or have the local clergy of Procan engage in some of the extortion that clergy of Umberlee do, maybe on the sly. It would actually be a pretty cool story motivation for a Cleric or Paladin of Procan to deal with the renegade clergy.
    Last edited by Jay Verkuilen; Sunday, 12th May, 2019 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    One of the preview images that's been circulating has some text about working with the Scarlet Brotherhood alongside the other factions in town against a greater threat (a Final Enemy).
    That seems... odd. The Scarlet Brotherhood are really, really bad. They were likely worshipping/drawing on Tharizdun's power, for one, and even if they weren't directly, they were slaving and slaughtering a whole lot of people. But, changes might well have been made to the overall story, so who knows.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Verkuilen View Post
    That seems... odd. The Scarlet Brotherhood are really, really bad. They were likely worshipping/drawing on Tharizdun's power, for one, and even if they weren't directly, they were slaving and slaughtering a whole lot of people. But, changes might well have been made to the overall story, so who knows.
    It's only one faction within the Scarlet Brotherhood that revere Tharizdun. But, yeah, the SB is pretty much as scummy and evil as it gets—they're pretty much the nazis of Greyhawk.
    XP Parmandur, jrowland gave XP for this post

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    It's only one faction within the Scarlet Brotherhood that revere Tharizdun. But, yeah, the SB is pretty much as scummy and evil as it gets—they're pretty much the nazis of Greyhawk.
    The Zhentarim were the Nazi's of the FR, as originally conceived and portrayed, until they mellowed out. One of the subplots of Dragon Heist involves
    Spoiler:
    modern, hip Zhentarim versus regressive traditionalists bent on world domination.
    Laugh Jay Verkuilen laughed with this post

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Yeah, exactly. I suppose one could have some faction of the SB that's not nearly so awful as being cultists dedicated to the ultimate destruction of the universe help out.
    Laugh Azzy laughed with this post

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Boccob: God of Magic (not sure origin, Neutral, parallel to Ao... maybe)
    Mystra is FR’s god of magic. Ao is the overgod.

Quote Originally Posted by pukunui View Post
    Mystra is FR’s god of magic. Ao is the overgod.
    I seem to recall Boccob is more important and definitely more distant than Mystra, which is why I thought of Ao, but you're right.

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

I seem to recall Boccob is more important and definitely more distant than Mystra, which is why I thought of Ao, but you're right.
    Mystra’s pretty darn important too! Every time she gets murdered, it sets off a Realms-shattering event! Also, Ao is extremely distant - so distant that he doesn’t even have any clerics. The only reason anyone knows he exists is because of his brief appearance during the Time of Troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by pukunui View Post
    Mystra’s pretty darn important too! Every time she gets murdered, it sets off a Realms-shattering event!
    True. My Realms knowledge isn't as good as my Greyhawk knowledge---I ran and/or played in Greyhawk for many years through both 1E and 2E, but only a bit in the Realms.

Also, Ao is extremely distant - so distant that he doesn’t even have any clerics.
    Boccob is kind of halfway between then, because at least in the early days of Greyhawk he didn't have a clergy, has almost no worshippers, and is extremely distant. He's not the "god of gods" though.
    XP pukunui gave XP for this post

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Yeah, exactly. I suppose one could have some faction of the SB that's not nearly so awful as being cultists dedicated to the ultimate destruction of the universe help out.
    Based on what has been leaked out so far, the SB are one of three major quest-giving groups in towns, and seem to function pretty much exactly like the Zhentarim have in 5E Adventures so far as "Lawful Evil" that the players can work with against more immediate threats.
    XP Jay Verkuilen gave XP for this post