Shadowrun Sixth World Beginner Box Review - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks for this review. Was very informative.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Quote Originally Posted by Draegn View Post
    @Abstruse I am guessing that this might happen; from what you have seen in the character dossiers would it appear that concentrations and specializations will be in place for extra edge? For example: firearms, pistols, ares predator 5
    The only character with a specialization is the troll street sam Rude, and his specialization just seems to add extra dice to the dice pool like previous editions.

Greater Elemental (Lvl 23)

Quote Originally Posted by Abstruse View Post
    The idea is to get the players constantly thinking about where they are in combat and what the situation is and having them adjust to always have the upper hand so they're always getting 2-3 Edge per turn, and also spending that edge every turn or two because you can't really stockpile it - the cap is 7 and you lose anything over your Edge attribute that you don't spend at the end of the encounter.
    My big concern is that Edge feels a lot more like a game mechanic, and less like something that makes sense with how the world works. Sure, 3E had a lot of fiddly modifiers, but they all made sense from an in-character perspective. I'm afraid that I'll be placed in a position to take particular actions "because it generates Edge" rather than because it makes sense on its own.

Do you know whether all of those Edge-related factors also have a direct impact, aside from the Edge? If I have thermographic vision in a dark room, do I also negate the darkness penalty to hit, or is it all rolled up into the Edge mechanic?

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Quote Originally Posted by Saelorn View Post
    My big concern is that Edge feels a lot more like a game mechanic, and less like something that makes sense with how the world works. Sure, 3E had a lot of fiddly modifiers, but they all made sense from an in-character perspective. I'm afraid that I'll be placed in a position to take particular actions "because it generates Edge" rather than because it makes sense on its own.

Do you know whether all of those Edge-related factors also have a direct impact, aside from the Edge? If I have thermographic vision in a dark room, do I also negate the darkness penalty to hit, or is it all rolled up into the Edge mechanic?
    I mean, it is a game mechanic. But it's a single mechanic that replaces a bunch of other mechanics. Edge is an expression of one side having an advantage - you know, an "edge" - on the other side. So there is no darkness penalty to hit. Because such a penalty only really matters if it affects one side but not the other. If you're in a dark room and both sides have low light or thermographic vision, how is that different functionally from a well-lit room? So why have penalties for it if it just affects both sides equally? All that does is slow down combat by making attacks miss more often. But if you have low-light or thermo and I don't, THEN you have a distinct advantage over me. So you get a point of Edge.
    XP MarkB, Mustrum_Ridcully gave XP for this post

Played original edition, second edition, 3rd edition and 5th edition... and yes, will play 6th edition

So long as the mechanics don't get in the way of your collective story telling and you're having fun then the game is good.

Thanks for the review, I'm looking forward to 6th edition.
    XP SkidAce gave XP for this post

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Quote Originally Posted by Saelorn View Post
    If the mechanic is well-implemented, things work the other way around. You don't do things because they generate Edge. You do things because they put you at an advantage, and that advantage is reflected by gaining Edge.

Superhero (Lvl 15)

Sounds surprisingly interesting.
    I mostly remember SR3 (my first RPG!), and the crazy amount of modifiers you had (or at least could) consider was something that made it really difficult and headache-inducing to run.

I haven't played SR4 (I think?) or SR5, but what seemed to be missing for me was the lack of the combat pool. I like the idea of having a game resource you need to manage to get yourself advantages.
    Maybe the new edge system can replicate that feeling somewhat.