GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8--Final Run-- Part 5

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I mean, Tyrion is the Hand of the Queen to killed Cersei. So... he kind of killed her... maybe that was all the prophecy was. Or maybe the showrunners don't care about that bit, while the books if they ever come out, will go more into that.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I've watched far more than you, I bet.

I can't think of another episode of anything that had so much stupid, illogical stuff going on, I'll say that much.

Oooo, is this where we get to list off how much media we've consumed in an effort to see which of us is the superior nerd? Hard pass.

If you think it was that bad, for you, then fine by me. I will argue that objectively, there are worse.

hawkeyefan

Legend
All in all, I think the pace of things since they show moved past where the books are has been a bit too fast. But I think maybe they're taking the lesson of the books to heart....that a story can take on a life of its own and get away from you, and then you can struggle to finish. The last two seasons have felt a little like bullet points, in some ways.

I think maybe a few more episodes worth of shows to help expand and elaborate on some of the plot points would have been good. But I get it....there are schedules, and other commitments and so on. I mean, that's a big difference from a novel to a show.....a novel can have a cast of millions and none of their schedules matter.

There are a couple of things that I wish had played out a little differently, or that they had more time to add to them...but overall, I think it's been very good. And I really don't think that the Dany turn is that surprising. Every single time she's been faced with opposition, her answer is to burn people alive. It's just that we've witnessed her journey so closely and the fact that most of her victims have been awful people that we've rooted for her.

But if you go back and look at things, this is what she's been saying she'll do all along. "We'll board the ships, and cross the poison water, and tear down their houses of stone, and burn them all."

My only surprise at the turn at this point is that they decided to actually go through with it.

Oooo, is this where we get to list off how much media we've consumed in an effort to see which of us is the superior nerd? Hard pass.

If you think it was that bad, for you, then fine by me. I will argue that objectively, there are worse.
And I will argue objectively that you are wrong.

I mean, it's not great, and it certainly isn't (IMO) the best it's been, but I don't get some of the hate.

Well, actually, I do.

I think that so many people are so very very invested in the show, that any ending would disappoint- after all, the ending on the screen cannot possibly compete with the possibilities people have imagined.

(Yes, I think that there have been flaws this season and last season- from travel times, to pacing, to issues w/r/t characters, but that, for example, this past episode was actually quite good.... it's just unfortunate that the prior episode wasn't very good, and that certain inconsistencies, such as the scorpion/dragon thing, are now pronounced)

Its been far from perfect yes. But I enjoyed it because I enjoy media in a very focused way. Its probably similar to the way I enjoy my gaming.

In fact, I would say that the issues that I've seen being put forth by hoards of people on Reddit and by personal nerd friends have great parallel to TTRPG incredulity and disdain. Unsurprisingly, on these boards at least, I'm often on the opposite end of the discussion of the masses.

I think the investment you speak of is a big one. I think the problem with people applying heuristics as their litmus test for scene plausibility and internal consistency is another one. I also think there are arbitrary applications of expectations applied to this media that, if applied historically to other beloved media then those other historical pieces should suffer similar slings and arrows.

Does that sound familiar?

If that isn't "the TTRPG problem" or even "the D&D edition war problem", I don't know what is?

I'm a guy who has utterly loathed some of Game of Thrones and utterly adored other parts and have felt fairly muted on other parts. I'm a guy who thought The Force Awakens was a fantastic movie on its own while also being a beautifully rendered Star Wars movie. I'm also a guy who thought The Last Jedi was not only a terrible, incoherent Star Wars movie, but one, if not the worst, plain movies I've seen all time (especially given the stakes). My guess is that there is a lot of overlap with TLJ incredulity/disdain and this last season of Thrones. Interestingly, I'm not on board that train.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases