GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8--Final Run-- Part 5

Sadras

Legend
Satisfying has nothing to do with morality. People cheering for immoral behavior open the door to what Dany did. Mass murder. That is the true face of a despote who thinks they have sovereignty over people's lives. As long as people cheer immoral behavior and despote, immoral behavior will continue and despote will rule. They shouldn't be surprised.

Of course, no person will be learn by the masses today. Your cheering at murder is a testament to that.

To be clear, I'm not condoning mass murder, but neither am I supporting your stance that all killing is bad or immoral.

Sadras

Legend
When I saw the scorpions used by Euron to slay the dragon I was reminded of video games like Spartan Total War where they are essentially reskinned Modern Ackacks, so my brain switched in to video game logic for the episode. So although a departure from how the show has previously presented, it is no less plausible than the idea of a woman riding a dragon being able to dodge those same ballista bolts.
Fantasy worlds do need their own internal consistency but plausibility needs to be given a very long leash

I guess the length of the leash is where disagreement occurs. For me a departure of what has previously been presented causes the biggest issue.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
When I saw the scorpions used by Euron to slay the dragon I was reminded of video games like Spartan Total War where they are essentially reskinned Modern Ackacks, so my brain switched in to video game logic for the episode. So although a departure from how the show has previously presented, it is no less plausible than the idea of a woman riding a dragon being able to dodge those same ballista bolts.
Fantasy worlds do need their own internal consistency but plausibility needs to be given a very long leash

It doesn't need that long of a leash, and if you have to go into video game mode to watch a T.V. show, that show has failed. It's not a video game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Satisfying has nothing to do with morality. People cheering for immoral behavior open the door to what Dany did. Mass murder. That is the true face of a despote who thinks they have sovereignty over people's lives. As long as people cheer immoral behavior and despote, immoral behavior will continue and despote will rule. They shouldn't be surprised.

Of course, no person will be learn by the masses today. Your cheering at murder is a testament to that.

I don't remember the people cheering at immoral behavior. I do remember them cheering at the punishment of immoral behavior, though. They cheered when the traitor Ned Stark was beheaded. It wasn't their fault they were lied to about what he did. They believed he was immoral and cheered appropriately. They also cheered when the immoral Queen Cersei walked the walk of shame, also punishment of immoral behavior.

What immoral behavior did they cheer?

Sadras

Legend
I'm not sure, really. I'd have to see it to know it. But I think it would be something that was very concretely contradictory rather than just poorly presented.

Even this (bolded section) can be subjective - one can but refer to the plethora of online arguments regarding the Dragon Queen and her descent into Madness.

That's fine. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. I expect I even share some of your opinions about the show. But may I ask, if the show has let you down so much, why do you still watch?

This might help explain why I still watch it. Particularly the quote from Jester David.

I try to temper my expectations with the realities of production of a show on this scale, and with trying to complete the story in the amount of episodes that remain. I'd have preferred a few more episodes so that things don't feel so rushed, but that was not to be. We can guess as to why, but likely our guesses will fall far short of the complexity that goes into a film production of this scope. "Just make more episodes" is a pretty easy thing to demand, and quite another to actually produce.

Well they could have reduced or altogether eliminated Euron/Cersei, Arya stumbling around KL, Euron/Jaime, Tyrion/Varis cock jokes and a few other scenes to actually assist with the main storyline...

I do think that there's a strange phenomenon that happens with fans sometimes where they create expectations that will simply never be reached. And then very often what happens is that valid criticism ("the pacing of later seasons seems a bit too fast") is replaced by insult ("Dumb & Dumber have brought this on themselves"). You can see it in this thread, and you can see much more of it elsewhere online.

Hmmm doesn't that happen everywhere (i.e. politics comes to mind) and why can you not have both - valid criticism with insult.

Last edited:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I don't remember the people cheering at immoral behavior. I do remember them cheering at the punishment of immoral behavior, though. They cheered when the traitor Ned Stark was beheaded. It wasn't their fault they were lied to about what he did. They believed he was immoral and cheered appropriately. They also cheered when the immoral Queen Cersei walked the walk of shame, also punishment of immoral behavior.

What immoral behavior did they cheer?

I'm talking about the audience of the show. They cheered when Dany killed people. They cheered mass murder and torture by a despote. It should be a lesson. Despotes are poopie. We should condamn them. The same people who cheered when Dany commited mass murder on Essos are now shocked she commits mass murder on Westeros. Shame on them for their double standards and their support of murderous despotes. I hope they learn something.

We should stop cheering at characters who serve murder as a form of justice. Murderers are bad people.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
To be clear, I'm not condoning mass murder, but neither am I supporting your stance that all killing is bad or immoral.

I'm sure you do not find murder and killing to be immoral. This is how we get wars, terrorism, torture, police abuse, etc. People find human death and suffering acceptable when its not them who are affected by it.

Dany will still be a murderous despot in the books.

Oh, almost guaranteed. But I think George RR Martin will make the transition a bit more smooth, character motivated and logical, instead of the abrupt character assassination that we got this season... that is, if he ever finishes Winds of Winter and then some more books... which seems unlikely.

It's not Dany's turn that I have a problem with. It is how it is presented in the show, which made little sense. Though I think this is an issue that could have easily been remedied in the editing room (just like Euron's magical fleet appearing out of nowhere).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases