D&D General Help me name the fantasy-historical pantheons

Yaarel

He Mage
For the Norse, I would go with the ‘Aesir Clan’. This is literally a family. In D&D 4e terms, they are Primal nature spirits.

The word ‘pantheon’ is Greek and creates misunderstandings.

Note, nature spirits from other clans such Freyja and Loki, are formally members of the Aesir clan, by means of marriage, adoption, and hostage-exchange. In some traditions, Loki is understood as a ‘blood brother’ of Odin, thus formally adopted as a brother.

The sense of extended family is primary.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
Babylonian - Enûma Eliš - its an original Babylonian text about their deities
Sumerian - Annunaki - actual name of the deities as a group.

In the end there just isn't a big difference between Sumer and Babylon, and the religion of the two is functionally identical. Its like trying to figure out the religious differences between Athens and Sparta.

Nice one for the Finns.

There are some religious differences between Sparta and Athens. Spartan Rites tended to be darker for example, like whipping a man on Artemis' Altar till he bled.

gyor

Legend
I just realized it's important to point out that these "fantasy historical" Pantheons still have many real world worshippers. I myself worship Hephaestus, Flora, Bastet, ect..., and feel their influence/presence/blessings throughout my life. They are very real beings just like me and you. Thankfully they are very forgiving of human story telling, even when it's not always flattering!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases