WOIN Dual wielding and Weapon size question

Woundweaver

Explorer
A couple questions

1. Oversized weapons add an extra d6 to damage, are undersized weapons supposed to remove a d6 of damage? It just states that An undersized weapon is one size category smaller and weighs half the regular weapon. It seems like it is advantageous to have undersized weapons since they do the same damage and have half the weight. The only downside I can see of an undersized weapon is it would have less customization slots available, but compared to the oversized weapons it seems to get the extra d6 damage which is the equivalent of the Serrated blade customization without the cost or the downside of that customization.
2. Dual Wielding: Under the description for weapon size it says: The size of the weapon (tiny, small, medium, or large) can be used to determine one or two-handed use of a weapon, eligibility for two-weapon use and more. But I don't see place where it says what the eligibility for two-weapon use? Can a human dual wield two medium weapons or does it require a medium and small or does weapon size not have any eligibility for two-weapon use anymore?

3. Does Weapon Synthesis stack with Dual Wielding to give 4 attacks?
Weapon Synthesis states: When using any Eastern weapon, you gain one free unarmed melee attack whenever you make two weapon attacks.
Dual Wielding states: Instead, once per turn, it grants an additional attack as a free action if the wielder has attacked twice already in the round.
Basically is Weapon Synthesis costing a free action to use? So the limit of 1 free action per round preventing these from stacking or is the free melee attack not considered a free action.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
1. Oversized weapons add an extra d6 to damage, are undersized weapons supposed to remove a d6 of damage? It just states that An undersized weapon is one size category smaller and weighs half the regular weapon.

I think you just answered your own question! :)

2. Dual Wielding: Under the description for weapon size it says: The size of the weapon (tiny, small, medium, or large) can be used to determine one or two-handed use of a weapon, eligibility for two-weapon use and more. But I don't see place where it says what the eligibility for two-weapon use? Can a human dual wield two medium weapons or does it require a medium and small or does weapon size not have any eligibility for two-weapon use anymore?

You can use a weapon one handed if it is your size or smaller.

3. Does Weapon Synthesis stack with Dual Wielding to give 4 attacks?
Weapon Synthesis states: When using any Eastern weapon, you gain one free unarmed melee attack whenever you make two weapon attacks.
Dual Wielding states: Instead, once per turn, it grants an additional attack as a free action if the wielder has attacked twice already in the round.
Basically is Weapon Synthesis costing a free action to use? So the limit of 1 free action per round preventing these from stacking or is the free melee attack not considered a free action.

Yes, weapon synthesis is a free action, so you'd have to choose between them.

Woundweaver

Explorer
I think you just answered your own question! :)
Not really, since it begs the question why wouldn't every person buy an undersized weapon if it does the same damage as the regular sized weapon, costs the same, weighs less and is more concealable due to being a smaller size.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not really, since it begs the question why wouldn't every person buy an undersized weapon if it does the same damage as the regular sized weapon, costs the same, weighs less and is more concealable due to being a smaller size.

If you want to make undersized weapons do -1d6 damage, go for it! It's your game! :)

Woundweaver

Explorer
While +1d6 works fine for oversized weapons, i’m not sure that -1d6 works best for undersized since some weapons would now do no damage.

I may houserule that undersized weapons do -1 damage on each d6 of damage with a minimum 1 per die. The other possibility is simply house ruling that undersized weapons are treated as one equipment quality less for medium sized creatures in terms of the bonus dice they give.

easl

Explorer
Given that all PC races are one of three sizes, another potential house rule fix is to eliminate undersized and oversized weapons as a thing and just use some appropriate smaller or larger weapon. Halfling broadsword? That's (the equivalent of) a shortsword. That only leaves the Ogres wielding two-handed weapons as something not covered by the weapons in the book. For them, +1d6.

I think that's somewhat realistic too. Some short guy walks into a blacksmiths and asks for a sword, she doesn't create a small version of a big sword, she says "pick one of those smaller swords on the wall."

Last edited:

Len

Prodigal Member
Given that all PC races are one of three sizes, another potential house rule fix is to eliminate undersized and oversized weapons as a thing and just use some appropriate smaller or larger weapon.

The problem with that is that we've got a goblin with the Two-Hands! exploit who wants to dual-wield a sword and a spear (wakizashi and sibat, for preference). He needs to use "small-sized weapons" and "small-sized" for a goblin means a weapon with a listed size of Tiny. There's only one such weapon: knife/dagger. (Not counting firearms.) For anything other than a dagger, it'll have to be an undersized weapon.

We'll probably end up using one of the rules [MENTION=36055]Woundweaver[/MENTION] posted above, I think it'll work out fine.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Given that all PC races are one of three sizes, another potential house rule fix is to eliminate undersized and oversized weapons as a thing and just use some appropriate smaller or larger weapon. Halfling broadsword? That's (the equivalent of) a shortsword. That only leaves the Ogres wielding two-handed weapons as something not covered by the weapons in the book. For them, +1d6.

I think that's somewhat realistic too. Some short guy walks into a blacksmiths and asks for a sword, she doesn't create a small version of a big sword, she says "pick one of those smaller swords on the wall."

Well, it's more that goblins and smallfolk make goblin and smallfolk sized swords rather than using small human swords.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases