Fantasy Grounds Usage Stats Through Q1 2019: D&D Up, Pathfinder Down - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Looks like everyone but DnD 5e are basically stagnant in growth. 5e though looks like it's growing at not a bad rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon Lost View Post
    Looks like everyone but DnD 5e are basically stagnant in growth. 5e though looks like it's growing at not a bad rate.
    Agreed; and it begs the question as to whether the market is growing in size. To which I believe the answer is yes - RPGs are growing in popularity, and 5e is responsible for the lion's share of that growth, as opposed to growing by cannibalizing customers from other games.
    XP Paragon Lost, Hussar gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by pauldanieljohnson View Post
    Agreed; and it begs the question as to whether the market is growing in size. To which I believe the answer is yes - RPGs are growing in popularity, and 5e is responsible for the lion's share of that growth, as opposed to growing by cannibalizing customers from other games.

That would be my take on it as well. Which makes me happy that there is some growth going on in the tabletoprpg genre.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

The growth in 5e will eventually result in the growth of other systems. There will be a number of people who will look to diversify the games they play or who get tired of D&D and want to try something else. It'll be interesting to see how long it will take to observe this trickle down effect. I would have thought we'd see more of this already. I started trying and buying other systems about a year after getting into 5e.

Then again, I've never played a Fantasy Grounds game and I don't think any of the games I play other than D&D have FG support.
    XP Paragon Lost, Parmandur gave XP for this post

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by MNblockhead View Post
    The growth in 5e will eventually result in the growth of other systems. There will be a number of people who will look to diversify the games they play or who get tired of D&D and want to try something else. It'll be interesting to see how long it will take to observe this trickle down effect. I would have thought we'd see more of this already. I started trying and buying other systems about a year after getting into 5e.

Then again, I've never played a Fantasy Grounds game and I don't think any of the games I play other than D&D have FG support.
    I would imagine most of the trickle down will eventually go to games that do something substantially different thematically, if anything.
    XP MNblockhead gave XP for this post

Titan (Lvl 27)

Until we see a significant slowdown in the growth of 5e, I doubt we'll see much trickle down to be honest. After all, for growth rates to remain steady, the only way trickle down works is if we're actually growing faster than those leaving for other games. Which would require an even faster growth rate than we're seeing currently.

I imagine eventually it will, but, I wouldn't expect much trickle down for some time yet.

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Am I remembering correctly? Are 4e enthusiasts diminishing along with 3e Pathfinder enthusiasts?

Titan (Lvl 27)

Well, if you look at the total number of games played, rather than percentages, it appears that 4e and PFRPG are pretty stable overall. Not growing, not shrinking.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    Until we see a significant slowdown in the growth of 5e, I doubt we'll see much trickle down to be honest. After all, for growth rates to remain steady, the only way trickle down works is if we're actually growing faster than those leaving for other games. Which would require an even faster growth rate than we're seeing currently.

I imagine eventually it will, but, I wouldn't expect much trickle down for some time yet.
    Well, you don't have to leave 5e to try another system. I got back into TTRPGs with 5e after decades out of the hobby. Within a year I was buying other systems. When I join games on Roll20, they are almost always one-shot/pickup games of more obscure systems. When I play at conventions, I may play a 5e game or two, but mostly use it as an opportunity to play other systems.

I don't currently use Fantasy Ground, but if I did, I would likely be starting with 5e, but would also be trying other systems now and then.

I don't think I'm that unusual in this regard and I am optimistic that the popularity of 5e will bring new players to other systems as well.
    XP Parmandur gave XP for this post

Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

Quote Originally Posted by MNblockhead View Post
    Well, you don't have to leave 5e to try another system.
    Yeah. You dont leave sandwiches when you have a pie. You just have a pie.
    XP Hussar, Parmandur, gyor gave XP for this post