Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana: Revised Artificer

The Artificer Returns, and it's a better Beast Master than the Beast Master

ICYMI, enjoy! It's got two new subclasses, new spells, and some tweaks to multiclassing. Plus, you know, typos.

Now to the meat of the matter. The Battle Smith. Everyone's better at having pets than the poor Beast Master Ranger. Discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
WotC just released the revised Artificer UA. Now featuring a new, pet-less archetype: The Archivist!

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 22.11.03.png

In February, we presented a revised version of a new character class: the artificer, a master of magical invention. Today we return to that class, now with even more content! Here’s what’s been added:
  • New subclasses—the Archivist and the Battle Smith
  • A revised spell list, including spells from Xanathar’s Guide to Everything
  • New infusions—Enhanced Wand, Repeating Shot, and Repulsion Shield
  • A revision to multiclassing—round up when determining spell slots

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 22.11.03.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 22.11.03.png
    578.2 KB · Views: 41,931

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I find it dumbfounding that the people who developed the core classes are apparently the same people developing all the schlock that has followed. :uhoh:

iltharanos

Explorer
I was thinking this and was thinking of perhaps using the battlesmith as a base for building a better beastmaster.

Agreed. The line below, just by itself, taken straight from the Iron Defender feature, would do wonders for the Beast Master's pet.

"[Y]ou take a bonus action on your turn to command it (the Iron Defender) to take one of the actions in its stat block or the Dash, Disengage, or Help action."

Al2O3

Explorer
Maybe it is all the smite and aura spells, but the battle smith makes me think it is the paladin artificer.
That is what convinced me that most of the artificer works as a halfcaster. The battle smith might also be the ranger artificer (beast master, with the new spell acting like Hunter's mark). The archivist is the one with smite-like extra damage from spells.

What I'm really happy to see is repeating shot. Suddenly crossbows are viable with the extra attack feature and my main reason for not using archers is handled.

EDIT: I misread, and thought it was your action that it required, rather than your bonus action. Remove one exclamation point from my displeasure.

"It can move and use its reaction on
its own, but the only action it takes on its turn is
the Dodge action, unless you take a bonus action
on your turn to command it to take one of the
actions in its stat block or the Dash, Disengage,
or Help action."

No, dangit! Seriously? This is the crap we've been trying to get rid of ever since the PHB--pleeeeassse do not make more of it!

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I'm a fan. Almost all of this seems really good to me and a well rounded class. Still not a fan of the turrets, but that's a small quibble.

Kurotowa

Legend
Maybe it is all the smite and aura spells, but the battle smith makes me think it is the paladin artificer.

Yeah, people are fixating on the pet, but I think that's a distraction. It's not very impressive and doesn't scale well. No, the real meat here is that Battle Smith is the Artificer's Hexblade. Getting your Int bonus to weapon attacks will open up whole new vistas for the CharOp folks and gish lovers. Bring out your High Elves and Rock Gnomes to play.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases