New Unearthed Arcana: Revised Artificer - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Quote Originally Posted by tglassy View Post
    The Artificer gives everyone a strong reason for multiclassing. Who wouldnĺt want a guaranteed source magic items? Though, they mix with wizards best, perhaps, because of their Int focus.
    Rogue also ... Artificer Battlesmith Rogue Inquisitor could be fun
    XP cbwjm gave XP for this post

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

One thing I find "weird"...why does the class get Perception as a skill? Sure they have to look at tiny details, but they aren't rangers here!

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Maybe it's so they have a better chance to spot that their magitech steam engine is about to explode.
    XP vecna00 gave XP for this post
    Laugh vpuigdoller laughed with this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker0 View Post
    One thing I find "weird"...why does the class get Perception as a skill? Sure they have to look at tiny details, but they aren't rangers here!
    They are basically "Magical MacGyvers", filling a niche in a party that would traditionally go to a Rogue, or perhaps Ranger.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherhead View Post
    They are basically "Magical MacGyvers", filling a niche in a party that would traditionally go to a Rogue, or perhaps Ranger.
    ...that's an interesting perspective to tackle the class from. They can easily cover trap and lock duty with Thieves' Tools and Perception. Instead of Skill Expertise they bring Tool Expertise. There's a lot that's different, of course, but if you're just looking to have that one party member who can detect and disarm traps then Artificer covers it nicely.

Scout (Lvl 6)

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherhead View Post
    Interesting analogy. I always thought of them as more like support characters, like bards: not terribly strong on their own, but can assist and make the rest of the party stronger in combat.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

After some reflection and messing around with potential builds, I think I've figured out why I'm so excited by the Battle Smith. I ran a Hexblade Warlock in a long campaign and Battle Smith is basically a Hexblade that looks like it might address my main complaint about how it played. Namely, that Warlocks have a remarkably small range of action.

Warlocks get a tiny list of locked in spells and the odd "Two spell slots per Short Rest" system that depends on more frequent Short Rests than my campaigns ever seem to have. Their options are few and they only get to do a couple things special actions before they're back to just basic attacks. Artificers have more readied spells spread out over fewer spell levels and the ability to switch spells each morning. Plus they're proper casters who can use as few or as many spells as the encounter demands. Similarly, Invocations are locked-in once you select them while Infusions give you more ability to adjust your daily selections as desired.

So in short, a Battle Smith Artificer looks to be similar enough to a Hexblade Warlock to hit the points I really enjoyed about it while offering more range of round-by-round and day-by-day action variety. I think that's exactly what I'm interested in playing.
    XP vecna00 gave XP for this post

Hydra (Lvl 25)

Again, if you expect more than pew-pew from the Warlock, you're up for disappointment.

If you get the number of short rests you seem to think you're entitled to, the Warlock is so much better than the Wizard and Sorcerer it isn't even funny.

Not only because of your own extra spell slots, but just as much because those classes aren't getting any.

That is, with that many short rests their power is dangerously diluted even if you didn't get two new fresh level five slots or whatever.

So if you're playing a Warlock of course you're going to go pew-pew a lot. Those Eldritch Blasts aren't exactly nothing.

But they're more than that. They're meant to be your main arsenal.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

The survey for this was posted earlier today, so go and tell them what you think!

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/une...ificer-returns
    XP MechaTarrasque, Parmandur gave XP for this post