Star Wars: Rian Johnson Out?

Zardnaar

Legend
Rian is the director for The Last Jedi.

Anyway Disney has mapped out their release plans through to 2026. There is only one Star Wars trilogy and Iger (head of Disney) confirmed that D&D from Game of Thrones will be doing it.

Now Disney announced Rian was getting his own trilogy. But they have been quiet on that.

So have they basically dumped Rian? At best his trilogy has been pushed back past 2026 a full decade after TLJ. Realistically I doubt that will be the case.

Other options are he is involved in some capacity with the new trilogy or he gets a TV role on Disney's new channel. But for live action big budget trilogy he seems gone burger.

GreyLord

Legend
Rian is the director for The Last Jedi.

Anyway Disney has mapped out their release plans through to 2026. There is only one Star Wars trilogy and Iger (head of Disney) confirmed that D&D from Game of Thrones will be doing it.

Now Disney announced Rian was getting his own trilogy. But they have been quiet on that.

So have they basically dumped Rian? At best his trilogy has been pushed back past 2026 a full decade after TLJ. Realistically I doubt that will be the case.

Other options are he is involved in some capacity with the new trilogy or he gets a TV role on Disney's new channel. But for live action big budget trilogy he seems gone burger.

He already stated that his trilogy will be released on Disney+ rather than theater.

In that light, it would depend on whether they are referring only to movies released in the theater, or also including movies on Disney's new streaming service.

Argyle King

Legend
It's an intriguing move to place the future of the franchise on the shoulders of a guy who made (arguably) one of the most controversial Star Wars movies and two guys who made (arguably) some of the most controversial (in terms of quality) Game of Thrones episodes.

It has the Star Wars name on it, so it will likely sell despite the inevitable complaints.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's no longer true though. Solo was a flop.

Rian had his chance, blew it and is now going to do made for tv.

D&D 4/8 you get something great, 1/8 something good, 2/ 8 ok, 1/8 TLJ 2.0.

They don't have anything to adapt though they don't seem to do to well without a blueprint. Maybe D_D can do something good.

Mallus

Legend
1. It's a shame Solo will go down as the first SW film to lose money. Solo was solid entertainment with a great cast.

2. Rian Johnson directed a g-ddamn masterpiece in The Last Jedi. I've said this before, haven't I? :)

3. Hey, great timing the press release announcing D&D will direct the next theatrical trilogy, ie as the ash was still falling on King's Landing.

4. My hot take is Disney has this exactly backwards. I'd like to see D&D tackle an Old Republic-set series for the streaming service -- for bonus points, with Kreia as a character -- and Rian do the next film trilogy featuring Broom Kid Jedi fighting the Galactic 1%.

That's no longer true though. Solo was a flop.

Rian had his chance, blew it and is now going to do made for tv.

D&D 4/8 you get something great, 1/8 something good, 2/ 8 ok, 1/8 TLJ 2.0.

They don't have anything to adapt though they don't seem to do to well without a blueprint. Maybe D_D can do something good.

I wouldn't even give them much credit for that 4/8 part. They had GRRM's work to go off of. Once they ran out of that, they exposed themselves as hacks.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It's a shame Solo was such a flop, because it was a pretty entertaining movie.

Solo was a flop mostly because of its enormous expense. Nearly $400 million world-wide would be fantastic for most movies - but not if the project was in such bad shape much of it needed to be redone at great expense.
Plenty of people were entertained by it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases