Stephen Colbert to Play Mini Adventure with Matt Mercer of Critical Role for Red Nose Day

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Didn't see this posted in EN World or on RPG News, but I thought it was pretty big in terms of the attention it will bring to the hobby.

Stephen Colbert will be playing in a mini-adventure run by Matt Mercer (of Critical Role fame) for Red Nose day, a charity that fights child poverty:

https://critrole.com/red-nose-day-choose-stephen-colberts-adventure/

You can donate money to help select aspects of the adventure of Stephen will play in, such as his characters companion, the main villain, etc.

I was only marginally familiar with the Red Nose campaign as Walgreens sells Red Noses once a year, but I never really understood what it was for.

Apparently the Red Nose campaign has been fairly popular in Britain since the 80s. It looks like a worthwhile charity and this is an awesome way to support it, as well as bring positive attention to the hobby.

Man, the Critical Role team are living the dream!

Last edited:

Nice. And that it's for charity, too!

After it came out that Colbert, for all his unabashed nerdery, hadn't played in long years, I kinda figured it was only a matter of time before he showed up on one of these things.

MNblockhead

Colbert? Seriously? So many other less politically caustic people they could have tried to work with on such a worthwhile project.

His politics aside, the man is a true fantasy nerd. He is very intelligent, quick witted, has an encyclopedic memory of Lord of the Rings lore and I think it'll be a hoot to watch him play.

If he makes the game about politics, well, I'd be disappointed.

As long has he keeps it about the game and raising money for a good cause, I really don't care about his politics.

I don't make my players pass a political litmus test to join my table and I'm not going to apply one to what sounds like an enjoyable way to raise money for a good cause that also brings positive exposure to the hobby.

MNblockhead

Already at over 53,000. My prediction is that they will hit and exceed their goal on Thursday, while they are streaming.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Will he play... his Paladin!?!

colbertcard.jpg

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I really don't think it's a good idea for someone who is so strongly partisan to attach itself to a charity that is presumably non-partisan. You're going to turn off people from it, even if it's a good cause. (As mentioned "caustic" is a good word for his strain of partisanship)

Would people on the other side be happy if say, Rush Limbaugh or Tucker Carlson took part? I'm guessing not.

MNblockhead

I really don't think it's a good idea for someone who is so strongly partisan to attach itself to a charity that is presumably non-partisan. You're going to turn off people from it, even if it's a good cause. (As mentioned "caustic" is a good word for his strain of partisanship)

Would people on the other side be happy if say, Rush Limbaugh or Tucker Carlson took part? I'm guessing not.

Not a fan of Rush, but YOU BET I'd tune in for a game of D&D that he played in. I bet he'd be great.

Ben Shapiro is another person I'd love to see play.

They'd bring their large audiences to the event, raise money, and give the hobby greater exposure.

I know that we now live in a world where the social-media mob will, well, mob the organizers of any event that dares invite someone with strong opinions. But if you don't like the participants, you can always start your own celebrity game for charity with celebrities you find acceptable.

If they create an entertaining event and raise money for a good cause, I'll watch and support both.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases