What is missing in 5E that you had in other editions? - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 72
  1. #51
    Chaotic Looseleaf
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    DMZ2112's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE PA, USA
    Posts
    1,343
    The thing I find most compelling about D&D5 is the fact that anytime I sit down with the books to do campaign planning, I am reminded in a flood of all the things it does not do that D&D4 did, or that D&D3 did, or that Pathfinder does, or that AD&D2 did...

    ...but when I sit down at the table with my players and the session begins, none of that matters.

    What I miss the most is personalization. D&D5 has good customization, but it doesn't have the breadth of options necessary for real personalization. AD&D2 and D&D3 both excelled at that (and were often waking nightmares as a result).
    /\/\/\/\/\
    The dungeon master is not a god. Gods are NPCs.
    ----------->
    "I think it all began when some sages started talking of the World Tree,
    and were allowed to go on doing so. Madness, sheer madness.
    Give me the Great Wheel, and I know where I stand."
    ~Lord Snelgarth, Ed Greenwood's The Herald
    \/\/\/\/\/
    XP Ratskinner, BookBarbarian, Josiah Stoll gave XP for this post

  2. #52
    Member
    Defender (Lvl 8)



    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    191
    I miss really simple stat blocks for monsters. So simple they could often be reduced to a single line in some cases. Made adventure writing so much easier, and compact. I really, really miss this.

    Oh, and wimpy orcs. Never read Tolkien, so AD&D orcs are my metric. 5 hp, a sword or spear, and no strength bonus damage. Could have a horde of them; it was quantity not quality when it came to orcs. Perfect fodder for 1st level parties.

  3. #53
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)



    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Plane of Earth
    Posts
    946
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Crow View Post
    I miss really simple stat blocks for monsters. So simple they could often be reduced to a single line in some cases. Made adventure writing so much easier, and compact. I really, really miss this.
    I know what you mean. At lower levels while running 5e, I was able to mostly get by with notes that included AC, HP, Attack and damage stats for each low level creature. Once Saving throws start coming into play, all bets are off. Need that stat block. Now I try to have my monster stat blocks printed off or bookmarked ahead of time. Keep things flowing.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Crow View Post
    Oh, and wimpy orcs. Never read Tolkien, so AD&D orcs are my metric. 5 hp, a sword or spear, and no strength bonus damage. Could have a horde of them; it was quantity not quality when it came to orcs. Perfect fodder for 1st level parties.
    If you read Tolkien, you’d know that wimpy orcs are called goblins.

    But, for serious, just assign them the minimum HP (8) as detailed in their stat block (2d8+6). Or, assign all members of the orc band 5 HP each as they’ve just come from a skirmish before the party stumbled upon them. And maybe have them carry clubs instead of their typical weapons. The wimpiness level is really in your hands as a 5e DM.
    Last edited by DM Dave1; Saturday, 18th May, 2019 at 04:45 PM.

  4. #54
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by Gradine View Post
    Major NPCs that are just the designers' names spelled backwards?
    I know Drafwarc and Slraem. Good guys, handy with a fireball spell.
    XP Josiah Stoll gave XP for this post

  5. #55
    Member
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)



    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    somewhere in Canada...
    Posts
    315
    "What is missing in 5E that you had in other editions?"


    my college buddies...
    XP Al2O3, Azzy, Josiah Stoll gave XP for this post

  6. #56
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,833
    Astral Diamonds.

    No, seriously, they were a unique D&D thing, and I thought it was cool that the most valuable gem was so rare it had to be mined on another plane of existence. And in the 5E treasure tables, the highest-value gems (diamonds, rubies, etc.) are worth 5,000 gp, so it would be easy to make the next highest level be the astral diamond worth 10,000 gp.

    I don't miss residuum, though. F@#$ that s%&*.
    XP Draegn, Josiah Stoll gave XP for this post

  7. #57
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    dark rural wet rainy Britain
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by 77IM View Post
    Astral Diamonds.

    No, seriously, they were a unique D&D thing, and I thought it was cool that the most valuable gem was so rare it had to be mined on another plane of existence. And in the 5E treasure tables, the highest-value gems (diamonds, rubies, etc.) are worth 5,000 gp, so it would be easy to make the next highest level be the astral diamond worth 10,000 gp.

    I don't miss residuum, though. F@#$ that s%&*.
    I remember these too. I also remember that if you were fast enough you could cut out the heart of a demon or devil and get a black diamond or fire ruby worth 1000 gp per hd.
    XP Josiah Stoll gave XP for this post

  8. #58
    Member
    Titan (Lvl 27)

    Dannyalcatraz's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Planet Alcatraz & D/FW
    Posts
    39,400
    Quote Originally Posted by DMZ2112 View Post
    What I miss the most is personalization. D&D5 has good customization, but it doesn't have the breadth of options necessary for real personalization. AD&D2 and D&D3 both excelled at that (and were often waking nightmares as a result).
    One man’s waking nightmare is another’s paradise.

  9. #59
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)

    aco175's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,823
    Printed modules that cost only a few bucks and I did not mind writing in.

    Weapon leveling to +10 and item creation rules

    4e monster rules

    multi-classing that worked well and did not make me feel like the PC is falling behind
    XP Josiah Stoll gave XP for this post

  10. #60
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)



    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Akron
    Posts
    2,150
    The only thing about 5e that irked me when running it was the monsters. I'd have preferred a more 4e style of monster design. (IMO, the single best thing about 4e). With the glossing-over of a lot of the tactical detail, they could be super-simple stat blocks.

Similar Threads

  1. Would you like to see commemorative editions of the core rules of all older editions?
    By joethelawyer in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: Friday, 7th November, 2008, 02:48 PM
  2. Special Editions for... well, Editions
    By Cryptos in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Saturday, 1st November, 2008, 04:03 PM
  3. What is 3.0 & 3.5 missing that previous editions had?
    By Calico_Jack73 in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 351
    Last Post: Monday, 15th March, 2004, 05:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •