The New Dungeons & Dragons Storyline for 2019 Leaked Ahead of Live Stream - Page 20
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 289
  1. #191
    Member
    Greater Elemental (Lvl 23)

    Remathilis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    Eberron is certainly coming, but it might not be ready for primetime yet...
    I think it's closer to done than we all think. Most of the UAs were late 2018 into 2019, and the gap between UA and finished product can be really small (Ravnica had a UA a few months before the book came out, sidekicks were playtested in Jan for a product coming in June). They have the feedback they need for everything but the second round of artificer; and if I full book doesn't come out this year, then this has been a lot of time wasted for nothing.

    Ebberon comes out this year or it never comes.
    XP Parmandur gave XP for this post
    Laugh Tazawa laughed with this post

  2. #192
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5,621
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKP View Post
    There is going to be a June announcement. But it is not the 4th mystery product. That June one is likely Baldurs Gate 3 or something. The last surprise announcement should be the setting they have said was coming.
    On the other hand, they did announce four products on Friday, and the equivalent book (Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica) was announced separately over a month after the Stream of Annhilation.

  3. #193
    Member
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)



    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKP View Post
    Nathan Stewart revealed during a live stream that this year we would be getting a new Setting Book. With 3 books already confirmed (Saltmarsh, Acquisitions Inc, and Avernus) it seems more than certain the last book will be the setting book, unless they decided to do 5 books this year.
    They counted the Acquisitions book as part of the yearly releases? Bummer. Thanks for clearing that up for me though!

  4. #194
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    On the other hand, they did announce four products on Friday, and the equivalent book (Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica) was announced separately over a month after the Stream of Annhilation.
    No they didnt. They announced 3 big products and a lot of small ones.

    Avernus, Rick and Morty, and Essentials kits were the 3 big ones.

    Dungeon Mayhem expansion, Avernus Dice Set, and new Comics were all secondary announcements.

    Stewart said they are saving one of the 4 big announcements for Sunday. This was spoken aloud on a stream. Can we please stop pretending like dice sets and card games count as one of the 4?

  5. #195
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5,621
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKP View Post
    No they didnt. They announced 3 big products and a lot of small ones.

    Avernus, Rick and Morty, and Essentials kits were the 3 big ones.

    Dungeon Mayhem expansion, Avernus Dice Set, and new Comics were all secondary announcements.

    Stewart said they are saving one of the 4 big announcements for Sunday. This was spoken aloud on a stream. Can we please stop pretending like dice sets and card games count as one of the 4?
    The press release had four bullet points: I am tempering my expectations, bit we'll see.

  6. #196
    Member
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)



    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,243
    Quote Originally Posted by MockingBird View Post
    They counted the Acquisitions book as part of the yearly releases? Bummer. Thanks for clearing that up for me though!
    The Aquistions Inc book was announced long before the stream

  7. #197
    Member
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)



    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,243
    When is the last announcement being done?

  8. #198
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5,621
    Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
    When is the last announcement being done?
    Well, it's 8:35 AM Pacific right now: final ceremonies begin ~5 PM. So, within the next 12 hours.
    XP gyor gave XP for this post

  9. #199
    Member
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)



    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    9,151
    Lots of thoughts, one post:

    Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus
    The Blood War, baby. A fun focus for an adventure. And devils were the easy bet for a story, as one of the few villain types that hadn't been featured. I was expecting a pirate adventure initially, as Ghosts of the Saltmarsh is underwater but doesn't feature a lot of sailing to justify the giant ship mini. But devils were my second guess, as I've been waiting for this since Out of the Abyss/ Rage of Demons.)
    And it ties nicely into Tome of Foes. (I imagine a Gith adventure is also on their agenda. 2020 maybe?)

    A Hell adventure sounds cool, but focusing on the first layer of Hell is sadly limited. I'd love a grand tour of all of Hell with full stat blocks of all 9 non-god archdevils. That way the book would still be useful for people wanting to do Hellish adventures but who are uninterested in the story WotC is presenting.

    I'm uncertain how I feel about focusing on vehicular raiders and big fiendish war machines. That's very... funky. But I suppose the game does need to be trying different things.

    Unsold on focusing on Baldur's Gate at the start. When I think of a city that needs a gazetteer in a Hell-focused adventure, my mind turns to Dis. The urban adventures at the start could have been there.
    Given half the D&D audience is new and probably a solid majority started playing in the last 15 years, it seems odd to be using a 21yo video game as a selling feature. How many players will be familiar with the game and the related god?
    It also seems like an odd mash-up. A city in the Realms and then a trip into Hell. The selling feature of the adventure is all the Hell stuff. The BG is just a speedbump before getting to the bit of the adventure you want. Honestly, it feels like they just included that as padding to get the PCs to an appropriate level, rather than directing people to the new starter set (or the DMsGuild), and instead having Descent into Avernus start at level 5. I worry that the adventure will be half or three-quarters BG and then move to Hell for the final arc.

    Essentials Kit
    A bit of a surprise. But it makes sense that they'd want a set with character creation. And one aimed at brand new players & DMs rather than new to 5e.
    And getting it into Target is a great idea... for countries that have Targets. There's none in Canada.

    Not that it's really aimed at me... but having a deck of magic items and conditions would be cool. Condition cards are a product I'm always surprised Gale Force 9 hasn't released.

    I don't think anyone expected the Sidekick rules to be in a product like this... Which makes it harder to guess what's coming next as there hasn't been any other Unearthed Arcana articles to use as a baseline.

    Fourth Product
    There's quite a few guesses going around.
    Eberron. I doubt WotC would be asking people to buy a big hardcover book a year after releasing a super expensive PDF. Especially when we haven't gotten the Print on Demand version of that book as the artificer isn't finished. (They haven't even asked for feedback via surveys yet.)
    Planescape. Possible. But, really, based on how they did Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, this would likely be 60 pages on the Factions, 20 pages on Sigil, a mid-sized adventure, and some monsters. Likely a longer one adventure in this case. Honestly, we won't get *that* much more information on the planes than we got in the DMG.

    Realistically, the speculated "setting book" is really probably just another DMsGuild PDF, followed by opening up that setting to fan content on the Guild. If there are no new races/ classes/ options to test, possibly one going straight to Print on Demand. They teased a couple setting products last year, and one of them ended up being the Eberron PDF. Despite speculation to the contrary, we didn't get another setting hardcover.
    Mearls was talking about Greyhawk recently, and that's the setting for Saltmarsh. So that's the easy bet.

    I initially expected the fall book to be the player facing/ non-adventure book, as we haven't had a generic one since Tome of Foes. But we haven't tested anything lately, apart from the artificer, which doesn't feel ready.

    However, the title of the book is Baldur's Gate. Descent into Avernus is the subtitle. There's not a lot of reason to do that unless there's a second Baldur's Gate book planned. So I'm expecting another BG book.
    No idea what that would be... I'd love a further trip into Hell and seeing some more layers. But that doesn't really need the "BG" series title.
    Last edited by Jester David; Sunday, 19th May, 2019 at 04:52 PM.
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com
    XP Parmandur, CapnZapp gave XP for this post

  10. #200
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    Lots of thoughts, one post:

    Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus
    The Blood War, baby. A fun focus for an adventure. And devils were the easy bet for a story, as one of the few villain types that hadn't been featured. I was expecting a pirate adventure initially, as Ghosts of the Saltmarsh is underwater but doesn't feature a lot of sailing to justify the giant ship mini. But devils were my second guess, as I've been waiting for this since Out of the Abyss/ Rage of Demons.)
    And it ties nicely into Tome of Foes. (I imagine a Gith adventure is also on their agenda. 2020 maybe?)

    A Hell adventure sounds cool, but focusing on the first layer of Hell is sadly limited. I'd love a grand tour of all of Hell with full stat blocks of all 9 non-god archdevils. That way the book would still be useful for people wanting to do Hellish adventures but who are uninterested in the story WotC is presenting.

    I'm uncertain how I feel about focusing on vehicular raiders and big fiendish war machines. That's very... funky. But I suppose the game does need to be trying different things.

    Unsold on focusing on Baldur's Gate at the start. When I think of a city that needs a gazetteer in a Hell-focused adventure, my mind turns to Dis. The urban adventures at the start could have been there.
    Given half the D&D audience is new and probably a solid majority started playing in the last 15 years, it seems odd to be using a 21yo video game as a selling feature. How many players will be familiar with the game and the related god?
    It also seems like an odd mash-up. A city in the Realms and then a trip into Hell. The selling feature of the adventure is all the Hell stuff. The BG is just a speedbump before getting to the bit of the adventure you want. Honestly, it feels like they just included that as padding to get the PCs to an appropriate level, rather than directing people to the new starter set (or the DMsGuild), and instead having Descent into Avernus start at level 5. I worry that the adventure will be half or three-quarters BG and then move to Hell for the final arc.

    Essentials Kit
    A bit of a surprise. But it makes sense that they'd want a set with character creation. And one aimed at brand new players & DMs rather than new to 5e.
    And getting it into Target is a great idea... for countries that have Targets. There's none in Canada.

    Not that it's really aimed at me... but having a deck of magic items and conditions would be cool. Condition cards are a product I'm always surprised Gale Force 9 hasn't released.

    I don't think anyone expected the Sidekick rules to be in a product like this... Which makes it harder to guess what's coming next as there hasn't been any other Unearthed Arcana articles to use as a baseline.

    Fourth Product
    There's quite a few guesses going around.
    Eberron. I doubt WotC would be asking people to buy a big hardcover book a year after releasing a super expensive PDF. Especially when we haven't gotten the Print on Demand version of that book as the artificer isn't finished. (They haven't even asked for feedback via surveys yet.)
    Planescape. Possible. But, really, based on how they did Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, this would likely be 60 pages on the Factions, 20 pages on Sigil, a mid-sized adventure, and some monsters. Likely a longer one adventure in this case. Honestly, we won't get *that* much more information on the planes than we got in the DMG.

    Realistically, the speculated "setting book" is really probably just another DMsGuild PDF, followed by opening up that setting to fan content on the Guild. If there are no new races/ classes/ options to test, possibly one going straight to Print on Demand. They teased a couple setting products last year, and one of them ended up being the Eberron PDF. Despite speculation to the contrary, we didn't get another setting hardcover.
    Mearls was talking about Greyhawk recently, and that's the setting for Saltmarsh. So that's the easy bet.

    I initially expected the fall book to be the player facing/ non-adventure book, as we haven't had a generic one since Tome of Foes. But we haven't tested anything lately, apart from the artificer, which doesn't feel ready.

    However, the title of the book is Baldur's Gate. Descent into Avernus is the subtitle. There's not a lot of reason to do that unless there's a second Baldur's Gate book planned. So I'm expecting another BG book.
    No idea what that would be... I'd love a further trip into Hell and seeing some more layers. But that doesn't really need the "BG" series title.
    Stewart went uncharacteristically on recod that we would definitely have a setting book this year (when discussing how successful Ravnica has been for WotC). Based on what they have been laying down, Eberron and Planescape seem the most likely culprits: either one could easily fill a book like Ravnica, and Eberron specific monsters would make it less of an onerous purchase for people who already bought the PDF.

    It would be surprising if they released 5 hardcovers this year, but a cosmic megadungeon follow up detailing the remainder of Hell at some detail wouldn't be crazy if they wanted to expand the line.

    Based on the panel on Friday, Baldur's Gate will be similar to Port Nyanzaru in ToA: a single chappter than can springboard a campaign, but not the bulk of the adventure.

    Consider that Baldur's Gate isn't just an old game that was a best seller: it is also a recent mobile game that was a best seller again this decade. Hence why a Baldur's Gate 3 is in the works, per Brian Fargo last year: we'll probably hear about that very soon.

Similar Threads

  1. The Next Dungeons & Dragons Storyline Will Be...
    By Abstruse in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 272
    Last Post: Thursday, 14th June, 2018, 03:58 AM
  2. Dungeons and Dragons 2 screener leaked
    By Psionicist in forum *Varied Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Tuesday, 30th August, 2005, 03:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •