The New Dungeons & Dragons Storyline for 2019 Leaked Ahead of Live Stream - Page 21
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 289
  1. #201
    Member
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)



    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    120
    Baldur’s Gate: Ascent of Bhaal

  2. #202
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    391
    The Baldurs Gate title did make me think a follow up was coming, but that was before the Essentials Kit and Rick and Morty boxes were confirmed. Now, I’m pretty confident the last announcement is a Setting Book.

    Remember that Mearls said last year that is Wayfinders was well received and sold well they would likely do a Hardcover, and treat Wayfinders as a companion. I expect they consider Wayfinders to be their Sword Coast Adventures Guide style book for the setting, and the Hardcover Setting Book will be much more DM facing.

    Also, the “City: Subtitle” titling makes me think they are just changing how their books are titled. It wouldn’t surprise me if we got a Neverwinter Adventure next year, or a Sigil one. I think the idea is so that way if they do followup adventures they can have a clear signal to DMs as to which adventure work together. So next year (or two years from now) if they do a followup to Avernus, they can title it “Baldurs Gate: whatever” and everyone will immediately know it’s meant to be part of that same series.

    Now, I don’t think that is a particularly good idea. But I do think that is likely the point behind it.

  3. #203
    Member
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)



    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    9,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    Stewart went uncharacteristically on recod that we would definitely have a setting book this year (when discussing how successful Ravnica has been for WotC). Based on what they have been laying down, Eberron and Planescape seem the most likely culprits: either one could easily fill a book like Ravnica, and Eberron specific monsters would make it less of an onerous purchase for people who already bought the PDF.
    A Print-on-demand book is still a book. This time last year he talked about two setting books, and one of those was Eberron.

    Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    Based on the panel on Friday, Baldur's Gate will be similar to Port Nyanzaru in ToA: a single chappter than can springboard a campaign, but not the bulk of the adventure.
    They also mentioned a gazetteer for the city like Waterdeep received. So we'll see. I'm hoping it's just a small section.

    Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    Consider that Baldur's Gate isn't just an old game that was a best seller: it is also a recent mobile game that was a best seller again this decade. Hence why a Baldur's Gate 3 is in the works, per Brian Fargo last year: we'll probably hear about that very soon.
    Yeah, but how many new people played that mobile game? And how many were existing fans replaying a game for nostalgia?

    I'm not sure how accessible BG is to new gamers. It's hard but in a random way, with a pretty incomprehensible rule system.
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com

  4. #204
    A video game following 5e rules and aesthetics sounds interesting, but what would the story even be about? Abdel's been dead for 25 years, Bhaal's alive and kicking, and I'm assuming Ao would throw Bhaal sixteen feet through an announcer's table if the latter tried the Bhaalspawn thing again. Unless Abdel gets a resurrection (commence eyeroll while pointing at Bruenor and company), is there any reason to tie it to the Baldur's Gate IP at all?

  5. #205
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyzhran2357 View Post
    A video game following 5e rules and aesthetics sounds interesting, but what would the story even be about? Abdel's been dead for 25 years, Bhaal's alive and kicking, and I'm assuming Ao would throw Bhaal sixteen feet through an announcer's table if the latter tried the Bhaalspawn thing again. Unless Abdel gets a resurrection (commence eyeroll while pointing at Bruenor and company), is there any reason to tie it to the Baldur's Gate IP at all?
    I think it’s been long enough that you can do a Baldurs Gate 3 without it being a direct sequel. It could tell a new story in the city (perhaps even tie in to and expand upon Descent into Avernus).

  6. #206
    Member
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)



    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    Lots of thoughts, one post:

    Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus
    The Blood War, baby. A fun focus for an adventure. And devils were the easy bet for a story, as one of the few villain types that hadn't been featured. I was expecting a pirate adventure initially, as Ghosts of the Saltmarsh is underwater but doesn't feature a lot of sailing to justify the giant ship mini. But devils were my second guess, as I've been waiting for this since Out of the Abyss/ Rage of Demons.)
    And it ties nicely into Tome of Foes. (I imagine a Gith adventure is also on their agenda. 2020 maybe?)

    A Hell adventure sounds cool, but focusing on the first layer of Hell is sadly limited. I'd love a grand tour of all of Hell with full stat blocks of all 9 non-god archdevils. That way the book would still be useful for people wanting to do Hellish adventures but who are uninterested in the story WotC is presenting.

    I'm uncertain how I feel about focusing on vehicular raiders and big fiendish war machines. That's very... funky. But I suppose the game does need to be trying different things.

    Unsold on focusing on Baldur's Gate at the start. When I think of a city that needs a gazetteer in a Hell-focused adventure, my mind turns to Dis. The urban adventures at the start could have been there.
    Given half the D&D audience is new and probably a solid majority started playing in the last 15 years, it seems odd to be using a 21yo video game as a selling feature. How many players will be familiar with the game and the related god?
    It also seems like an odd mash-up. A city in the Realms and then a trip into Hell. The selling feature of the adventure is all the Hell stuff. The BG is just a speedbump before getting to the bit of the adventure you want. Honestly, it feels like they just included that as padding to get the PCs to an appropriate level, rather than directing people to the new starter set (or the DMsGuild), and instead having Descent into Avernus start at level 5. I worry that the adventure will be half or three-quarters BG and then move to Hell for the final arc.

    Essentials Kit
    A bit of a surprise. But it makes sense that they'd want a set with character creation. And one aimed at brand new players & DMs rather than new to 5e.
    And getting it into Target is a great idea... for countries that have Targets. There's none in Canada.

    Not that it's really aimed at me... but having a deck of magic items and conditions would be cool. Condition cards are a product I'm always surprised Gale Force 9 hasn't released.

    I don't think anyone expected the Sidekick rules to be in a product like this... Which makes it harder to guess what's coming next as there hasn't been any other Unearthed Arcana articles to use as a baseline.

    Fourth Product
    There's quite a few guesses going around.
    Eberron. I doubt WotC would be asking people to buy a big hardcover book a year after releasing a super expensive PDF. Especially when we haven't gotten the Print on Demand version of that book as the artificer isn't finished. (They haven't even asked for feedback via surveys yet.)
    Planescape. Possible. But, really, based on how they did Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, this would likely be 60 pages on the Factions, 20 pages on Sigil, a mid-sized adventure, and some monsters. Likely a longer one adventure in this case. Honestly, we won't get *that* much more information on the planes than we got in the DMG.

    Realistically, the speculated "setting book" is really probably just another DMsGuild PDF, followed by opening up that setting to fan content on the Guild. If there are no new races/ classes/ options to test, possibly one going straight to Print on Demand. They teased a couple setting products last year, and one of them ended up being the Eberron PDF. Despite speculation to the contrary, we didn't get another setting hardcover.
    Mearls was talking about Greyhawk recently, and that's the setting for Saltmarsh. So that's the easy bet.

    I initially expected the fall book to be the player facing/ non-adventure book, as we haven't had a generic one since Tome of Foes. But we haven't tested anything lately, apart from the artificer, which doesn't feel ready.

    However, the title of the book is Baldur's Gate. Descent into Avernus is the subtitle. There's not a lot of reason to do that unless there's a second Baldur's Gate book planned. So I'm expecting another BG book.
    No idea what that would be... I'd love a further trip into Hell and seeing some more layers. But that doesn't really need the "BG" series title.
    Planescape doesn't need a special adventure because it's one of the two metasetting, you can for example just use Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus, but substitute Sigil for BG.

    And we don't need 60 pages on the factions, this isn't Ravnica, the factions are important in Sigil, but setting wise not that important. 2 pages per faction should be enough.
    XP Parmandur gave XP for this post

  7. #207
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    A Print-on-demand book is still a book. This time last year he talked about two setting books, and one of those was Eberron.
    Possibly, though the context on Spoilers & Swag was answering a question on whether Ravnica was a success from WotC point of view: the answer was yes, and they were going to do it again with a new setting this year. The November hardcover "slot" is a setting book, the question is which, and when they will talk about it.

  8. #208
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)

    aco175's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,815
    I'm more interested in the new starter set than going to Hell. I think I can use that more and in more ways to extend campaigns. I like the way they are expanding on Phandalin. I would be cool, but I do not expect, that the town will be updated to reflect any changes from the original. And, it looks like this adventure has a dragon to combat.

  9. #209
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5,619
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKP View Post
    The Baldurs Gate title did make me think a follow up was coming, but that was before the Essentials Kit and Rick and Morty boxes were confirmed. Now, I’m pretty confident the last announcement is a Setting Book.

    Remember that Mearls said last year that is Wayfinders was well received and sold well they would likely do a Hardcover, and treat Wayfinders as a companion. I expect they consider Wayfinders to be their Sword Coast Adventures Guide style book for the setting, and the Hardcover Setting Book will be much more DM facing.

    Also, the “City: Subtitle” titling makes me think they are just changing how their books are titled. It wouldn’t surprise me if we got a Neverwinter Adventure next year, or a Sigil one. I think the idea is so that way if they do followup adventures they can have a clear signal to DMs as to which adventure work together. So next year (or two years from now) if they do a followup to Avernus, they can title it “Baldurs Gate: whatever” and everyone will immediately know it’s meant to be part of that same series.

    Now, I don’t think that is a particularly good idea. But I do think that is likely the point behind it.
    Wild prediction: "Icewind Dale: Return to the Gates of Firestorm Peak" or something, with ancient Eldritch madness (Cthulu and Mindflayers) rising in the mountains no the frozen North.
    XP SkidAce gave XP for this post

  10. #210
    Member
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    new haven,ct
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by aco175 View Post
    I'm more interested in the new starter set than going to Hell. I think I can use that more and in more ways to extend campaigns. I like the way they are expanding on Phandalin. I would be cool, but I do not expect, that the town will be updated to reflect any changes from the original. And, it looks like this adventure has a dragon to combat.
    Maybe you can run both the starter adventures concurrently. That would be a dream. A larger sand box.

Similar Threads

  1. The Next Dungeons & Dragons Storyline Will Be...
    By Abstruse in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 272
    Last Post: Thursday, 14th June, 2018, 03:58 AM
  2. Dungeons and Dragons 2 screener leaked
    By Psionicist in forum *Varied Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Tuesday, 30th August, 2005, 03:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •