The New Dungeons & Dragons Storyline for 2019 Leaked Ahead of Live Stream - Page 22
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    Wild prediction: "Icewind Dale: Return to the Gates of Firestorm Peak" or something, with ancient Eldritch madness (Cthulu and Mindflayers) rising in the mountains no the frozen North.
    Honestly that might be why we are seeing a change to how they title adventures. Maybe its to create brand synergy with their games that are rumored to be in development? Stands to reason that if BG3 is coming, we might see new Neverwinter, Icewind Dale and even Planescape games.
    XP Parmandur gave XP for this post

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKP View Post
    Honestly that might be why we are seeing a change to how they title adventures. Maybe its to create brand synergy with their games that are rumored to be in development? Stands to reason that if BG3 is coming, we might see new Neverwinter, Icewind Dale and even Planescape games.
    In my opinion the new naming is simply a way to signify the setting, to almost encourage people to buy a book because it almost doubles as a "mini-setting" book. Waterdeep: Dragon Heist doubles as a guide to the city of Waterdeep, and Undermountain is supplementary to that setting. I suspect the new book is going to contain a decent amount of info for how to play sessions with Baldur's Gate.
    XP MockingBird gave XP for this post

Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    Possibly, though the context on Spoilers & Swag was answering a question on whether Ravnica was a success from WotC point of view: the answer was yes, and they were going to do it again with a new setting this year. The November hardcover "slot" is a setting book, the question is which, and when they will talk about it.
    Reporting things from Spoilers & Swag without a link is always dubious to me. It always turns things into a game of Telephone. Posters here have a loooong history of hearing things they want to hear.

If that is the third hardcover, then it will revealed be the end of con video around the concert (like Dungeon of the Mad Mage was), wrapping up the event at 7 PST. They've mentioned it will be just before Game of Thrones.
    Which is a little anticlimactic as it means we know about it, but get no real information beyond a couple minute video.
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com
    XP Prakriti gave XP for this post

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

I dont know why but I am highly doubtful it's going to be a setting book. I want to be wrong though.

Eye see you little fishie
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Baldurs Gate: Decent to Sigil
    DMSGuild Hottest items
    https://www.dmsguild.com/top_100.php...iate_id=182934
    Note that both the above links have my affiliate id.
    https://www.twitter.com/darjr
    Laugh Parmandur, Satyrn laughed with this post

Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
    Planescape doesn't need a special adventure because it's one of the two metasetting, you can for example just use Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus, but substitute Sigil for BG.
    Stewart did said they wanted to use Curse of Strahd as the template for future settings, with an adventure as part of the setting. The fewer racial and class and monster options that are added, the longer the adventure will be.
    An adventure will almost certainly be the centerpiece of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
    And we don't need 60 pages on the factions, this isn't Ravnica, the factions are important in Sigil, but setting wise not that important. 2 pages per faction should be enough.
    The catch is, they don't need to do a book on Sigil. That book already exists.

If doing Planescape, they need to add something beyond just the fluff. As fluff is edition neutral. Mechanical faction details and rules for reputation in that city are something that isn't featured in a 2e book.
    They don't seem interested in doing the giant books of setting lore like they did in 2e and 3e.
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Quote Originally Posted by MockingBird View Post
    I dont know why but I am highly doubtful it's going to be a setting book. I want to be wrong though.
    It's more based on how you define "setting book". WotC hasn't been doing actual setting books. They've all been backdoor setting books, like Curse of Strahd for Ravenloft, hiding the setting within an adventure.

My guess is it'll be an adventure for levels 14-20 completing the "story" from Descent into Avernus that focuses on the planes with a detailed description of Sigil and rules for planar travels and adventures. Still have a few hours before we find out for sure...

Frankly, I'm more invested in trying to figure out when the announcement will be since there's not a clear-cut slot on the schedule. There's a concert starting in about 45 minutes and, based on the number of musicians, that'll be going for several hours. Right now, the main channel isn't even live and I can't see them announcing the new big book on their equivalent of ESPN-3.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    True, but by the same logic, we didn't need a book on Waterdeep. Or Chult or Barovia or Eberron or... People still want setting books because they want to see how they're updated to the new edition and the current timeline. They want not just what already exists but to see it updated.

And there's also a LOT of people playing today who weren't even born when the first Planescape boxed set came out. They might not be interested in reading a book older than they are written for an edition they never played written in a style that's not remotely close to the current style RPG books are written in.
    XP Prakriti, vecna00 gave XP for this post

Lama (Lvl 13)

Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post

If doing Planescape, they need to add something beyond just the fluff. As fluff is edition neutral. Mechanical faction details and rules for reputation in that city are something that isn't featured in a 2e book.
    They don't seem interested in doing the giant books of setting lore like they did in 2e and 3e.
    A majority of players don't know the Guild exists. A vast majority of players never experienced 2e.

Just like they didn't need to release Curse of Strahd because the i-series exists; they don't need to do any new setting book.

They'll do new setting books because the audience has expanded so rapidly that old content is essentially meaningless.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Quote Originally Posted by sevenbastard View Post
    Maybe you can run both the starter adventures concurrently. That would be a dream. A larger sand box.
    During the announcement, Chris Perkins said (paraphrasing) You can run Lost Mines and then this one, or this one and then Lost Mines, or mix them up however you like. This expands the area detailing more places to adventure in. So it sounds like your larger sandbox.
    XP Satyrn, pukunui gave XP for this post