The New Dungeons & Dragons Storyline for 2019 Leaked Ahead of Live Stream - Page 27
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829 LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 289
  1. #261
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    Citation please.
    Sure, from Mike Mearls Twitter the day the Wayfarer's Guide was released, discussing the plans to release the crunch for free and make a hard cover book:

    "This is 100% official content for Eberron. Since it is an ebook, that also means we can update content with comments based on UA playtests of the races and the artificer. If we do an Eberron print product, we will design it to complement as much as possible what the PDF presents." https://twitter.com/mikemearls/statu...223636994?s=19

    "Some things, like the artificer, races, and basic world info, will be picked up for a print book, but we want fans to be happy owning both." https://twitter.com/mikemearls/statu...800056321?s=19

    "We'll likely make them two, separate things. Just speaking theoretically - the print book might focus on the Five Nations and adventures there, while this covers Sharn in more detail."
    https://twitter.com/mikemearls/statu...989242369?s=19

    This Eberron hardcover was always their plan, and they told us about it, though keeping their options open.
    XP Azzy gave XP for this post

  2. #262
    Member
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)



    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    9,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Likely. Wayfinder was more like an introduction for people new to the setting, and I think it excelled at that. The hardback will probably be far more dense with less new player handholding.
    Will it though?
    Will it really?

    Or will it just have a comparable amount of world lore and just include an introductory adventure and some monsters rather than the section on Sharn?

    TheWayfarer's Guide is 170 pages. It's BIG. Far from a quick intro. If you handed that to your players and told them to read it, their response would be "WTF, dude?!?"
    WotC doesn't seem interested in the big expansive setting books any more. The book's unlikely to be a 320-page encyclopedia.
    The best we can hope for is that it has two pages on each nation rather than one or focuses on Xen'Drik instead.
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com

  3. #263
    Member
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)



    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    9,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    Sure, from Mike Mearls Twitter the day the Wayfarer's Guide was released, discussing the plans to release the crunch for free and make a hard cover book:

    "This is 100% official content for Eberron. Since it is an ebook, that also means we can update content with comments based on UA playtests of the races and the artificer. If we do an Eberron print product, we will design it to complement as much as possible what the PDF presents." https://twitter.com/mikemearls/statu...223636994?s=19

    "Some things, like the artificer, races, and basic world info, will be picked up for a print book, but we want fans to be happy owning both." https://twitter.com/mikemearls/statu...800056321?s=19

    "We'll likely make them two, separate things. Just speaking theoretically - the print book might focus on the Five Nations and adventures there, while this covers Sharn in more detail."
    https://twitter.com/mikemearls/statu...989242369?s=19

    This Eberron hardcover was always their plan, and they told us about it, though keeping their options open.
    Got it.
    Mearls lied to us when he said it was "theoretical".
    Lied. To. Our. Faces.


    Also, the "Some things, like the artificer, races, and basic world info" covers the first 120-pages of Wayfarer's Guide. It's 70% of the book. So Wayfarer's Guide is really only useful if you're playing in Sharn for those 40-pages. So, that's like fifty cents a page for that content.
    Yeah... totally happy owning both. Don't feel ripped off and taken advantage of at all.


    Meanwhile, the Eberron fans get TWO books while the fans of Dragonlance, Planescape, Spelljammer, Birthright, Dark Sun, and Greyhawk get how many books?
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com
    XP DMZ2112 gave XP for this post
    Laugh a.everett1287, Parmandur laughed with this post

  4. #264
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    Yeah... totally happy owning both. Don't feel ripped off and taken advantage of at all.
    Wait. You own both? Where'd you get a copy of the hardcover? By which I mean, how do I get a copy?
    XP Remathilis, Parmandur gave XP for this post
    Laugh gyor laughed with this post

  5. #265
    Member
    Magsman (Lvl 14)



    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    Got it.
    Mearls lied to us when he said it was "theoretical".
    Lied. To. Our. Faces.
    Not really, as there was a qualifier in there somewhere, that I am not searching for right now, along the lines of if the PDF is popular enough, then a hardcover could be made to go with it. If no one, or few enough people, had bought the PDF, then there would have never been a hardcover at all.

    Also, the "Some things, like the artificer, races, and basic world info" covers the first 120-pages of Wayfarer's Guide. It's 70% of the book. So Wayfarer's Guide is really only useful if you're playing in Sharn for those 40-pages. So, that's like fifty cents a page for that content.

    Yeah... totally happy owning both. Don't feel ripped off and taken advantage of at all.
    Don't forget that the current page count for the PDF does not even include the pages for the Artificer yet, so that number will grow once everything is finalized.

    Meanwhile, the Eberron fans get TWO books while the fans of Dragonlance, Planescape, Spelljammer, Birthright, Dark Sun, and Greyhawk get how many books?
    People around here, and in WotC's polls, seem to think that Eberron is more popular than any of those, so not surprised it is first. And some of those other settings will likely follow the same format and the the PDF playtest treatment first and a hardcover added later. Eberron proved this format works, so they will use it again. And they will likely do them in order of profitability, so some old settings will never see the light of day and maybe never be opened on DMs Guild either.
    XP Parmandur gave XP for this post

  6. #266
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Enevhar Aldarion View Post
    Not really, as there was a qualifier in there somewhere, that I am not searching for right now, along the lines of if the PDF is popular enough, then a hardcover could be made to go with it. If no one, or few enough people, had bought the PDF, then there would have never been a hardcover at all.



    Don't forget that the current page count for the PDF does not even include the pages for the Artificer yet, so that number will grow once everything is finalized.



    People around here, and in WotC's polls, seem to think that Eberron is more popular than any of those, so not surprised it is first. And some of those other settings will likely follow the same format and the the PDF playtest treatment first and a hardcover added later. Eberron proved this format works, so they will use it again. And they will likely do them in order of profitability, so some old settings will never see the light of day and maybe never be opened on DMs Guild either.
    I 100% see them doing PDFs for testing and popularity. If successful, they'll do hardcovers. If there is that much of an issue with it, then people should vote with their wallets or let it be known in surveys.

    I don't see this as a bad thing.
    XP Parmandur, Azzy gave XP for this post

  7. #267
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    Got it.
    Mearls lied to us when he said it was "theoretical".
    Lied. To. Our. Faces.
    Reading comprehension 0%, final course grade F, pleaew withdraw from this program, pleaseleave this institution and never come back.
    XP Azzy gave XP for this post

  8. #268
    Member
    Defender (Lvl 8)



    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    686
    Eberron, not my cup of tea plus that means I have to see keith baker wearing that black Greg Norman hat like a college student that wears his favorite t shirt every day of the week! At first I thought the ravnica book would be my first 5e non-purchase...I know Eberron will be. Its literally the last setting Im interested in.

  9. #269
    Member
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)



    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nederland, TX
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyzhran2357 View Post
    Reading comprehension 0%, final course grade F, pleaew withdraw from this program, pleaseleave this institution and never come back.
    Not even getting into the grammatical and typographical errors of someone starting off with "reading comprehension 0%", but let's back up a bit and say this:

    Mike Mearls, on behalf of Wizards of the Coast, said the PDF would be updated with new material.

    People paid $20 for the PDF based off that.

    Wizards of the Coast then releases a $50-60 hardcover on the same material.

    So either the people who paid $20 for the PDF are not getting this updated material, meaning they were deceived...or they are getting this updated material, which devalues the still-as-yet unreleased book.

    No matter what happens here, unless Wizards of the Coast comes up with some details as to what is and is not included in the Eberron book and what recompense (if any) they're giving to people who bought the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron, people are going to speculate. And that speculation is not going to be on Wizards of the Coast's side considering the preponderance of the evidence.
    XP DMZ2112 gave XP for this post

  10. #270
    Quote Originally Posted by Abstruse View Post
    Not even getting into the grammatical and typographical errors of someone starting off with "reading comprehension 0%", but let's back up a bit and say this:

    Mike Mearls, on behalf of Wizards of the Coast, said the PDF would be updated with new material.

    People paid $20 for the PDF based off that.

    Wizards of the Coast then releases a $50-60 hardcover on the same material.

    So either the people who paid $20 for the PDF are not getting this updated material, meaning they were deceived...or they are getting this updated material, which devalues the still-as-yet unreleased book.

    No matter what happens here, unless Wizards of the Coast comes up with some details as to what is and is not included in the Eberron book and what recompense (if any) they're giving to people who bought the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron, people are going to speculate. And that speculation is not going to be on Wizards of the Coast's side considering the preponderance of the evidence.
    They've said since July of last year that they would release a hardback in addition to the WGtE. This is simply that statement coming to fruition.

    Like you said, and everybody knows, we don't know what the hardback will be yet. It might be an Eberron-specific Monster Manual. It might be an Adventure Path set in Eberron. It might be a SCAG style travel guide to Khorvaire or Xen'drik or Sarlona. This upcoming hardback will supplement the WGtE, not replace it. So get your panties out of a bunch and put the pitchfork back in the shed.

    Seriously, it feels like this forum wants the 5e team publicly disemboweled with how much hate is being thrown at them.
    XP Parmandur, Dire Bare gave XP for this post

Similar Threads

  1. The Next Dungeons & Dragons Storyline Will Be...
    By Abstruse in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 272
    Last Post: Thursday, 14th June, 2018, 03:58 AM
  2. Dungeons and Dragons 2 screener leaked
    By Psionicist in forum *Varied Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Tuesday, 30th August, 2005, 03:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •