• The Book of Lorem

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Presidential Peril

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Smite Evil

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • None

Votes: 3 20.0%

It's been over a year since I wrapped up the original release of the steampunk adventure path ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution, and since then I have devoted my creative energies to running a 20-month campaign and writing a novel. But now I want to produce and sell something new, so I'm curious which of these ideas would be most popular.

Four options.

1. ZEITGEIST: Steel Wind - A standalone adventure set 10 years after the original campaign, with a key component of aerial combat using primitive planes. If you're familiar with the Russian "Night Witches" of World War 2, they're an inspiration. I would probably produce this for both D&D 5e and Pathfinder 2e.

2. The Book of Lorem - A bit of a Kingmaker-esque adventure, where the PCs join settlers colonizing a land where the only remnant of civilization is an old library of forbidden books. An inspiration is the original Myst game, where you can travel to worlds within books. This would also be for 5e and PF2.

3. Presidential Peril - This is goofy. I have been tinkering with an RPG combat system that takes elements from PF2 and the new Legend of the Five Rings card game to try to create cinematic pacing, and have the sort of play-counterplay of fighting games. I don't really have a desire to write ALL the rules for a whole RPG, so my idea is to release . . . something almost like a board game, with pre-gen characters, all of whom are US Presidents (and possibly other world leaders) with their own distinctive fighting styles. George Washington has been possessed by an elder entity from beyond time and space, and you must fight past his minions, then defeat him to free him.

4. Crowd-funding Smite Evil - I have an idea for a cartoon series about a party of paladins, which was inspired by that 20-month campaign I mentioned up top. They're united in their goal to defend a country from an army of monsters, but differ wildly in how their gods view law and good. This is an inherently hopeful series, but the world around the heroes is cynical and violent - like if the cast of The West Wing were dropped into Berserk. I have some contacts in the animation industry and at Cartoon Network, but I'm lacking in bona fides. So if I wanted to produce this, I'd need to crowd-fund a pilot, probably in two stages.

First I'd seek a few thousand dollars to create an animatic of a single scene to showcase the general style. Then I'd use that to garner attention and persuade people to donate the fifty thousand dollars or more I'd need to animate an entire pilot episode. In all honesty, that's a shoestring budget. A proper episode complete with professional voice acting probably upwards of 200k. I'm not shooting to start my own animation studio, though, just get the attention of people who could fund a proper production for a network. This is a longshot, of course, but I think I have a really good story to tell.

---

So, those ideas are bouncing around in my head. Which, if any, intrigue you enough that you'd pay $15 to see them?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
1. ZEITGEIST: Steel Wind - A standalone adventure set 10 years after the original campaign, with a key component of aerial combat using primitive planes. If you're familiar with the Russian "Night Witches" of World War 2, they're an inspiration. I would probably produce this for both D&D 5e and Pathfinder 2e.

2. The Book of Lorem - A bit of a Kingmaker-esque adventure, where the PCs join settlers colonizing a land where the only remnant of civilization is an old library of forbidden books. An inspiration is the original Myst game, where you can travel to worlds within books. This would also be for 5e and PF2.

What if these were full-blown RPGs? That would be new.

I feel like the market for adventures compatible with existing games is larger then for standalone games. Are there many one-off RPG-adventure bundles?

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Syntax error.

Can't say I've ever bought a bundle of anything, but I am keenly interested in blurring the line between rulebook and adventure module. Isn't that sort of what D&D has been doing with 5th ed?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I feel like the market for adventures compatible with existing games is later then for standalone games. After there many one-off RPG-adventure bundles?

Short term you make more money off a D&D or PF supplement. Long term, a core rulebook is a better investment.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Phew, these are totally different ideas.

In general, I'd love to see both adventuring material and a solid story and I'm pretty keen on playing PF2.

I also enjoyed reading excerpts from your Smite Evil campaign, so seeing a fresh take on the adventures of that group of paladins would be neat.

So Book of Lorem (Ipsum...) and Smite Evil would be tied.

But... okay, this may sound weird... but I just think like making something too short-ish would feel a bit like wasted talent. You're really good at writing cohesive, solid and enjoyable stories that work much better in a "series" format (campaign) than in a "stand-alone movie" (one shot). A lot of writers can turn a good idea into a good adventure, but only a few can take that idea and let it grow into something... bigger.

Long story short, my own wishlist would also include:
- a new campaign (maybe based on the themes of Smite Evil? We've had a lot of "for bad guys" campaigns recently, so why not one for explicitly "good guys"?)

- A serialized version of ZEITGEIST (yeah I know, that's highly unlikely, as it would be a pretty long project, but it could hit a nerve in the current series landscape)

I'm flattered by the praise. And goodness knows after the ending of Game of Thrones my pride is saying, "Psst, you know how to end long stories. Write some!"

But long campaigns take a long time, and I'm planning to get a master's degree in library science after a 15 year break from school, so I don't want to commit to an adventure path until I get a sense of how much time the schoolwork will take.

Having just begun reading Act 3 of Zeitgeist, I'm beginning to dread running out of reading material, so a follow-up is extremely tempting. Book of Lorem sounds intriguing as well. I think your work is really good so whatever project you choose to pursue, I'll be sure to check it out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases