D&D 1E What 5e subclass is most like the 1e Druid?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I never played the 1e druid but if you list some of the things you'd like to replicate or emulate I'll do my best to make a recommendation.

Ovarwa

Explorer
Hi,

That would be a land druid, imo. Animal shapeshifting is about utility more than combat effectiveness, and the character is a spellcaster above all.

Not all of the feel is possible: 1e Druid had a very different xp curve from other classes, and 5ed has done away with the idea that classes should advance at different rates. 5e no longer requires Druids to be True Neutral, though this can be emulated. 5e does not limit the number of high level druids, though this too can be emulated if someone thinks this is actually a good idea.

Anyway,

Ken

Ashrym

Legend
Hi,

That would be a land druid, imo. Animal shapeshifting is about utility more than combat effectiveness, and the character is a spellcaster above all.

I agree with this, and would add land's stride and nature's ward are clearly rooted in 1e abilities.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Wondering what 5e build gets you closest to the feel of a 1e Druid ....
For my money it's the Circle of Oak in the playtest, I got to play one and it really brought me right back to the 1e Druid, real nostalgic fun - or the "Land" Druid in the 5e PH.

The Moon Druid harkens more to the 3.5/WoW/4e shape-shifting-centric druid. While shape-shifting was a legendary Druid thing, and the 1e Druid did it, it wasn't with quite the same emphasis, not mainly about hulking out, though Black Bear was on the menu.

The Land Druids extra spells include many I remember using heavily back in the day, too.

Of course, you're still not casting 3rd level spells at 3rd level.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases