Votes: 79 27.0%
  • D&D 4E

Votes: 73 24.9%
  • Other (not 5E)

Votes: 9 3.1%

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I voted for 2e.

3e came along and I was very excited for all the changes...but in the end it seemed more tedium than it was worth. I had a lot of good times with both of those editions, but I tired of 3e in a way that I never tired of 2e.

ccs

41st lv DM
My favorite edition to date is 1e.

In no particular order (and likely not a comprehensive list);

*I like its slightly clunky mechanics, its stat based limitations on things, it's To-Hit/Save system, its Save or Die stuff, its % based treasure charts by Alphabet letter, its % based magic item tables, that alignment means something, etc etc etc.
*I like it's art.
*I like the vision of the game that it presents.
*I like that character creation & advancement is fast & simple.
*I like that (with the exception of the Unearthed Arcana book) these are books that will survive decades of HARD use & even abuse. I own multiple copies of some of the 1e books for convenience. I've bought multiple copies of the 5e PHB & a 2nd MM because they can't survive normal wear & tear.
*I like reading Gygax's stuff in the DMG.
*I like that 1e always feels....unfinished. It's sooo easy to house rule.
*I like that there's very very little errata.
*I like that no two groups will actually be playing 1e the same.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
For nolstalgia, 1e.

But I wouldn't want to play it now. If I had to play a D&D edition other than 5e, I suppose it would be Basic D&D (Moldvay / Metzner (but not Expert/Companion rules), which for some reason you are categorizing as OD&D.

But more likely, if I couldn't play 5e, I wouldn't play D&D, I'd play Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Radaceus

Adventurer

We played 1E from early 80s, adjusting our rules with 2E modifications as they emerged. We remained in the holding pattern until 2014 and the emergence of 5E

I voted 2E, but it is a close run thing with BECMI or B/X, but since those are in no way the same as OD&D I went with 2E. OD&D, 1E, 2E are so very close, B/X & BECMI are not, it's very weird to chuck them in OD&D.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm actually surprised 4E has that many votes. Wow.

4e was much better received than popular opinion might lead one to believe. In fact, it was very successful with new players, its problem was that it didn’t appeal to established players, who were very much necessary to bring in new players at the time.

Remove ads