D&D 5E State of the mystic

tglassy

Adventurer
I kind of like where Mearls was going with it in his Happy Hour, with the Psion having cantirps that he upgraded with Spell Slots. That could be very useful, and have a lot of utility. Like having a cantrip that allowed a short, five-ten foot teleport, but using a spell slot and a specific "Spell" to upgrade it to 20 or 30 ft, or to add a damage effect, or to add invisibility at the end or something.

I think the main problem right now is to figure out where Psions fit in the game. Every class fits somewhere, with some classes combining roles in unique ways. Fighters fight, Rogues are skills, Clerics heal and Wizards cast spells. Barbarians, Rangers, Sorcerers and Druids are the “Nature” version of those, basically, and can fulfill those functions but do so slightly differently. (These are of course oversimplifications, and don’t include the subclasses, which further mixes things, but bear with me.)

Then you have the hybrid classes. Paladin are Fighter/Clerics, Monks are Fighter/Rogues, Bards are Rogue/Wizard/Clerics, and potentially Fighter/Rogue/Wizard/Clerics, so all around backup. Warlocks are…well, whatever they want to be, depending on the build, but they can't be all of it at once. I guess they could be considered the “Fighter/Wizard”, what with being the only class beside Fighter that naturally gets four attacks that are separate, and each add the ability score to damage (Eldritch Blast).

Artificer seems to fill a good niche, being that they make magic weapons that can help the party, something no one else can do. They are like Rogue/Wizards, which we don’t have above, unless you make a specific Warlock build.

So we’ve got:
Combat: Fighter/Barbarian
Skills: Rogue/Ranger
Casting: Wizard/Sorcerer
Healing: Cleric/Druid

Hybrids:
Combat/Skills: Monk
Combat/Casting: Warlock
Combat/Healing: Paladin
Skills/Casting: Artificer
Skills/Healing: ??
Casting/Healing: ??
All-in-one: Bard

Psions were always dependent on the build, and were always versatile. They could be combatants or casters. We don’t really need another “More Different Wizard”. The playtest was so over general, I literally played four different characters from it, a Striker, a Healer, a Caster and a Fighter. It could be any of the four main classes, and could mix and match wherever it wanted. If they’re going to do Psion, they need to make it do things no one else can do. We don’t have a Cleric/Wizard or a Rogue/Cleric yet. Maybe the Psion would fit the Cleric/Wizard slot well, focusing on healing and casting together, though I don’t know how different that would be from just being a Cleric, or a Divine Soul Sorcerer.

Then again, they’re a lot like monks, in that Monks focus on their own inner strength to enhance their combat utility, and Monks would be Combat/Skill, so having Psions, who are monks who focus more on increasing the mind’s powers, be the Skill/Healing would be interesting. Healing being buffs and debuffs, in this case. Sort of the Cleric version of the Monk.

I don’t know, I’m spitballing here. I’m just saying it needs to fit it’s own niche and do it’s own thing, like the Artificer has.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I always used the theory of psioncs being the "old magic/science" , and my race of ancient ones used it in place of magic.

So I need a system that allows for psionic fighters, "wizards" and at least healers.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I feel like psionics should, as you increase level, become more and more meta-gamey. The level 20 capstone is that you realize you're just a character in a role-playing game.

I would like the psychic (whatever the name) to be like the caster version of the barbarian: you are a so-so caster, until you supercharge your brain for a short time like the barbarian supercharges his/her body. I am not sure exactly what that would look like though.

I would like the psychic (whatever the name) to be like the caster version of the barbarian: you are a so-so caster, until you supercharge your brain for a short time like the barbarian supercharges his/her body. I am not sure exactly what that would look like though.

Wouldn't this just be the sorcerer (more or less)

Lalato

Adventurer
The Mystic in my game was overpowered... and quite literally outclassed every other class in the game. Looking forward to whatever the next iteration is.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Personally, I would make the lion's share of psychic abilities be simlar to a warlock's invocations (just a lot more of them) while having cantrip-esque at-will abilities that can be scaled as desired with a point-based mechanic.

I'd like to see them bring back psicrystals and astral constructs, though. And psionic sub classes for fighters, rogues, monks, etc.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I expect a psion with spell slots to appease players who are waiting for psionic rules in the same way the beastmaster ranger appeases players who want a warrior pet... :p

Yeah, in addition to trashing the test Mystic and starting from scratch, they made it pretty clear that sticking to spell slots was one of the big takeaways from that playtest. Who knows where they will go with a Class in particular, but it will a spell slot user.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yeah, in addition to trashing the test Mystic and starting from scratch, they made it pretty clear that sticking to spell slots was one of the big takeaways from that playtest. Who knows where they will go with a Class in particular, but it will a spell slot user.
If they're a spell slot user like the Warlock that could still be cool (so minimal but flexible slots and a whackload of special abilities). Anything else would probably suck. I guess what I'm saying I'd rather see a reskinned warlock than a reskinned sorcerer or wizard. Give them three psionic paths at 3rd (fighty/sneaky/casty or whatever) and call it a day. I would be all for the whole class feeling vaguely monk-like too.

I do see why they might want to leave the points system behind - it's an ugly mechanical match with anything else in 5e.

Wouldn't this just be the sorcerer (more or less)

Naw, the sorcerer is the caster monk: I spend a point to do this, I spend a point to do that, my player complains that I don't have enough points.....

Honestly, 2 minutes of "spell rage" would work well for a hypothetical 6e sorcerer class, but to me it doesn't fit with the 5e sorcerer, so I figure the gimmick has to go to a new class, and psion/mystic is what we have to work with.

Further thought: I should specify that I think 2 minutes of "spell rage" feels like a class ability, not a subclass one.

Last edited:

Remove ads