GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8--Final Run-- Part 6---THE END

"if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI"

View attachment 106615

Okay, some of them I do remember, but still, I can't say I'm burning up at the thought of learning their fates.

A lot of book readers know right away who most of those characters are and happen to care. The omission of Lady Stoneheart was VERY controversial among book readers around the time of Season 5. The lack of Arianne Martell and Darkstar were just two of the many reasons the show version of Dorne fell flat on its face. And Jeyne Poole's storyline going to Sansa in the show was one of the worst parts of Season 5 other than Dorne.

I'll give you Penny, though. She's not only superfluous, she's terrible.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ok I will say Bran is younger than Cersei, but is he really more beautiful than her?

The prophecy was just that a younger, more beautiful queen will take all that she holds dear. Daenerys qualifies as doing that. It was all taken away from her when she died. Bran getting the throne after that doesn't mess up that prophecy.

After the plebithide, the dragon had just acquired enough XP to increase in level and immediately placed all of his ASI's in Intelligence thus understanding the importance of the Iron Throne. He, like Greyworm, worked through his emotional rage and spared Jon.

They don't attack Targaryens. The throne was just handy to vent his rage on. I had no problem with this part.

Also last 3-Eyed Raven lived for thousands of years (according to the show)...so that is a really long time for the next election. Dictator4Life!

The last Three Eyed Raven was sustained by the roots of a weirwood tree. Bran isn't.

pukunui

Legend
I think Grey Worm had enough sense to realise that murdering Jon would’ve had much more dire consequences than murdering some defenseless Lannister soldiers.

There's lots of wars anytime I don't think government forms mitigate that. Might be getting a bit close to the no politic thing thing though.
Democracy is a lot better at it, though, then many other forms.
Animportant thing for a government form is that it allows for changes, instead of being static. If the only way to get rid of a bad ruler (or at least some think is bad) is murdering him and everyone standing between you and him, it can't guarantee peace.
Democratic systems aren't perfect, but their ability to chance course and personnel in a non-violent way helps a lot.

Humans are good at being cruel to each other.
But not to forget, but most of the time we actually aren't.
The further we are apart in spirit and location, the harder it can be to be empathetic, but the basis of our ability to form societies and build cultures is the ability to find common ground and work together for a common goal.

Derren

Hero
Can you give me a timeframe? France was not unified at one point and they had the hugenots and that crusade I'll have to look up. Are you meaning France between the Hundred Years War and reformation or post 30 Years War?

Westeros also lacks a lot of things causing that conflict. War of the 5 Kings was political for the most part.

Okay, lets go with that.
1435 to 1618

In that timeframe you had 4 wars between Brandenburg and Pomerania, the Landshut war of Succession, several conflicts between Württemberg and an alliance of swabian cities, the Old Zürich war and the Swabian War, just to name a few. There are more.
All of those wars were internal to the HRE, had nothing to do with religion and the Emperor was powerless to stop them (the last war was even against the Emperor himself).
How many internal wars did France have in that time?

Zardnaar

Legend
Not many iirc. I was thinking earlier France. 4 wars in almost 200 years isn't that bad, my country has been in more than that. External though.

Derren

Hero
Not many iirc. I was thinking earlier France. 4 wars in almost 200 years isn't that bad, my country has been in more than that. External though.

I only listed internal wars as the entire point of the council was to bring stability to the 6 kingdoms. There were more external and internal wars with external participation. And as I said, that were not all wars, just the ones I could find quickly. Inside the HRE someone was nearly always at war. And all that, at least partially, because the Emperor was weak thanks to the elective system and only had its own might to enforce his will while the princes did whatever they wanted, especially the stronger ones.
So by changing the kingship to being elective they made further war between the houses much more likely.
Why should the Lanister not go to war again once they recovered? Or Dorne? Who would stop them? Bran? Why would the other houses lend him troops to fight a war they have no stake in?
And after Bran dies, who would they elect? Either themselves or someone powerless which can't tell them what to do. Unless someone is strong enough to bully them into voting for him which causes more friction.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
HRE was not politically unified though. The various prince etc ruled independent realms.

Westeros had 300 odd years of peace with a few small rebellions like the Blackfyre one.

My expectations were that neither Jon or Dany would get the throne (to obvious).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases