D&D 5E The Final Announcement from The Descent Live Stream: Eberron Hardcover

The final announcement at the end of The Descent stream is a hardcover book for the Eberron setting!
No details have been announced, but Nathan Stewart closed out the live stream event for The Descent by proclaiming the final book out this year would be a hardcover setting book for Eberron.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Parmandur

Book-Friend
While I really don't care for Eberron as a setting (the "magic as technology" trope is just too twee for me and rubs me the wrong way) I am very happy for the people who do love the setting, and look forward to the book because, even though I'm not a fan of the world, I'm assuming there still be at least a few things in the book that will be interesting new additions to use in my games.

As for the psionic Mystic class, don't forget that Eberron has an entire PC race consisting of the shards of psionic spirits cohabitating with human souls in psychically empowered human bodies. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Mystic class was included in the Eberron setting book so you can play full-on psychic Kalashtar. My only wish for the Mystic (and my only grievance with 5E psionics, which I absolutely adore) is that they would use a different goshdang name for the class(!); Mystic is just so wrong for the name of the Psionic power-using class. Why not just use the good old name "Psionicist?" Or even better yet, why not just call the psychic class "the Psychic?" Naming a class based on psychic powers "the Psychic" is seriously kind of a no-brainer, while calling the psionic class "the Mystic" is just slightly extremely confusing. In my experience, the term "mystic" as used in modern fantasy/speculative fiction of all stripes has just about always been associated with magic.

But now that we know an Eberron setting book is coming out, I think it's a fairly safe bet that all the work on 5E psionics has been for that book rather than for a Dark Sun setting book, and to my mind that kind of explains the reason behind "the Mystic" name: it's being named for Kalasthar mysticism. I still don't like it, and would much, much prefer they just called the psychic class "the Psychic," I can at least understand why they've done it, as much as I totally disagree with it.

While I absolutely love the mechanics they've created for 5E psionics, the name of the class really irks me.

I have good news, and bad news.

The good news is they are not using the name "Mystic," and are going with "Psion" moving forwards.

The bad news is they scrapped what they had done and went back to the drawing board. The Psion is nowhere near primetime. The Kalashtar do not necessitate the full Class, any more than the Gith in MToF do.

Satyrn

First Post
[MENTION=42037]Ik[/MENTION]j and [MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION] managed the incredibly difficult feat of a two-poster double-post.

You get a cookie! And you get a cookie! (And no one else gets a cookie! I ain't Oprah.)

I stopped playing TTRPG's around the time Eberron was originally being released for 3E, so I've never really knew much about it (other than the warforged).
Having come back to D&D with 5E, I was always interested in Eberron as one of the few settings I was unfamiliar with, and so I picked up the Wayfinders pdf when it released, and I was impressed with it. I could see pretty quickly why it won the comp to design a setting back in the day, it seemed to overflow with cool ideas. I'm happy to see that expanded on in a hardcover.

So, yeah, I would have loved some old 2E settings like Planescape updated for 5E, but I'm looking forward to getting this when it comes out.
I really hope they put out a line of mini's to go with it.

Staffan

Legend
I'm hoping this means that Wizkids will put out some Eberron-themed Nolzur miniatures. Some warforged, shifters, changelings, and artificers, perhaps (kalashtar are pretty much identical to humans, at least on a miniatures scale).

Staffan

Legend
Since psionics is not a central feature of Eberron (at least not of campaigns that take place in Khorvaire), a simple option would be to make a Mind Mage sorcerer. I don't think there's enough depth in the sorcerer class to cover psionics in a psionics-heavy setting like Dark Sun, but it should work well enough for having the occasional dude with weird mental powers.

Since psionics is not a central feature of Eberron (at least not of campaigns that take place in Khorvaire), a simple option would be to make a Mind Mage sorcerer. I don't think there's enough depth in the sorcerer class to cover psionics in a psionics-heavy setting like Dark Sun, but it should work well enough for having the occasional dude with weird mental powers.

I feel like if they do Psionics (at that feels like a given at this point, but hey, WotC headquarters could explode before they get it out) they're gonna bundle Dark Sun with it, like they're doing with the Artificer and Eberron.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I feel like if they do Psionics (at that feels like a given at this point, but hey, WotC headquarters could explode before they get it out) they're gonna bundle Dark Sun with it, like they're doing with the Artificer and Eberron.

Yeah, I see this as the most likely path they'll take.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases