D&D 5E The Final Announcement from The Descent Live Stream: Eberron Hardcover

The final announcement at the end of The Descent stream is a hardcover book for the Eberron setting!

The final announcement at the end of The Descent stream is a hardcover book for the Eberron setting!
No details have been announced, but Nathan Stewart closed out the live stream event for The Descent by proclaiming the final book out this year would be a hardcover setting book for Eberron.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Dire Bare

Legend
Clearly, the correct choice should have been committing to a three-volume update of the Jakandor setting.

Correct answer, right here! Steel & Bone!

Trivia: Steel & Bone was the original name of the line, before it was changed to Jakandor: Island of <insert here>.

I expected it, sad but expected.

I think them making it a separate book from Wayfinders rather than just expanding wayfinders to be a full product is scummy. But hey, I will never buy into one of their beta releases ever again :)

Considering we have zero details this is a bit of a kneejerk reaction. For all we know this could be an expansion to Wayfinders.

murquhart72

Explorer
I wonder if this will be a full setting overview kind of deal, or something more like SCAG, with just a snapshot of one particular area. If it's a full-on setting book, I'm surprised the Forgotten Realms didn't get one first!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wonder if this will be a full setting overview kind of deal, or something more like SCAG, with just a snapshot of one particular area. If it's a full-on setting book, I'm surprised the Forgotten Realms didn't get one first!

Structurally, the Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica is the most likely model: expanded player options, more monsters, and DM aids.

Yaarel

He Mage
For Eberron lovers, do you view Ravnica as competition? Both are mainly urban and ubiquitous magic.

Note, I would describe Eberron as ‘wide’ (availability of low level) magic, rather than ‘high’ (level of) magic.

gyor

Legend
I expected it, sad but expected.

I think them making it a separate book from Wayfinders rather than just expanding wayfinders to be a full product is scummy. But hey, I will never buy into one of their beta releases ever again :)

I wonder if they will reprint the spells from XGTE that the Artificer has access to in the WGE?

Yaarel

He Mage

I personally prefer the regional snapshot. Because this is easy to plug-and-play into any setting.

So, when treating the Drow, pick a particular city, Menzoberranzan. If treating the Githzerai, pick a particular extraplanar monastery complex and its environs. When treating Eberron, pick a particular city. Future products can pick a particular elven ancestor-revering community. And so forth.

Yaarel

He Mage
A neat feature of Eberron is the absence of nature. Or rather, nature is pushed into the background while psionics and elementalism are pulled into the foreground. Thus background and foreground contrast each other and heighten each other.

Of course, focusing on a nonurban region in Eberron reverses this, where nature becomes the center, and psionics and elementalism are distant contrasts.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
For Eberron lovers, do you view Ravnica as competition? Both are mainly urban and ubiquitous magic.

Note, I would describe Eberron as ‘wide’ (availability of low level) magic, rather than ‘high’ (level of) magic.

Apparently not, since they are both being published. In the Dragon Talk where they announced Wayfarer's Guide and the Ravnica book, Keith Baker went a little into how to mix Ravnica material into Eberron.

Remove ads

Remove ads