Survivor Magic Jewelry (PART II)- SCARAB OF PROTECTION WINS!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Ioun Stone 11
Necklace of Adaptation 24
Necklace of Prayer Beads 11
Pearl of Power 18
Periapt of Health 14
Scarab of Protection 18

Harzel

Adventurer
The two examples you give are my favorite Ioun Stones. If we were voting for them individually, the Stone of Sustenance would be my hands-down favorite. ( @lowkey13 : That would be a pretty fun Survivor contest, now that I think about it: Survivor Specifics: Ioun Stones, Feather Tokens, and Figurines of Wondrous Power!)

My beef with the Ioun Stones in this survey is that of the 13 Stones listed in the DMG, 10 of them are just statboosters. Since the bad considerably outnumber the good IMO, the category gets my downvote.

Well, now, wait just a minute. I think it would be only fair that for every 10 times you downvote the stones, you upvote them 3 times, e.g., (down x 3, up, down x 3, up, down x 3, up, down)*.

(For some definition of 'fair'. B-))

akr71

Hero
Ioun Stone 9
Necklace of Adaptation 23
Necklace of Prayer Beads 12
Pearl of Power 18
Periapt of Health 14
Scarab of Protection 18

jasper

Rotten DM
Ioun Stone 9 - 2 = 7 no 4 or 20 for you stoners
Necklace of Prayer Beads 12 +1 = 13 this does not have a prayer of winning
Pearl of Power 18
Periapt of Health 14
Scarab of Protection 18

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I hear the "it doesn't just increase numbers" thing a lot, and I have a hard time buying it. Yes, it does. It's just granting a condition immunity essentially, which TONS of things in this game do, and which is about numbers. Water breathing, immunity to poison, etc. are all doing the same kinds of things.

The reason I love it is a holdover from 1e and 2e, when poison gas traps just straight out killed you if you missed your save. And it was easy to miss saves. That necklace meant that you were immune to those, as well as gas breath weapon attacks and breathing underwater. The necklace was literally a life saver.

Once you got to 3e and poisons became virtually toothless, the necklace became less important and more of just a nifty nicknack.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The individual ones would be good, but we haven't even finished the magic items yet. It was pretty smooth sailing until the miscellaneous ones. Did you know that there are a lot of those?

It seemed like a great idea at the time ..... ;)

Go alphabetic. Survivor: Misc. Magic Items A or A & B.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ioun Stone 8
Necklace of Prayer Beads 13
Pearl of Power 16
Periapt of Health 12
Scarab of Protection 19

Remove ads