D&D 5E Help me choose from my build options for Ranged Valor Bard

OlegRu

First Post
Our DM has us playing 3 oneshots, and then starting the actual campaign, so that we can playtest our chars a little and get the hang of the rules/refresh our memories. We already played session 1 at lvl1, and we'll be doing a session 2 at lvl2, session 3 at lvl3 and then starting at lvl3 or 4 for the campaign.

My character a Half-Elf Valor Bard, a kind of inspiring skald, archer/caster. I basically want my hero to be a light warrior/skill monkey that's also casting, and decided to have him ranged to keep him further from harms way and by RPing his personality, which is averse to extreme danger too close.

I have a couple of options for my build that I was hoping you could help me pick and choose from.
A few goals are:
  1. I want him to be able to get some decent attack hits in combat and not die.
  2. I understand that casting is important for bards, so I want to get that power up.
  3. I really like Skills, so I don't want negative modifiers from stats or for him to be "dumb", and Perception, Insight, Survival are important to me (WIS)
(Skills I'm using: Athletics, Deception, Insight, Perception, Persuasion, Stealth, Survival).

Ability Score options:
10 16 12 10 12 16

10 16 14 10 10 16

or

**[10 15 14 10 12 16 unique package w/ start as Fighter1/BardX, Feats/ASIs - Resilient: DEX, Cha, SS, Cha, Dex]

Multiclass options:

• Bard straight through, no MC

• Fighter 1/Bard X - Start with CON proficiency, Archery fighting style or Close Quarters Shooter (modified), second wind, a couple more HPs/Hit Die, all weapon and armor proficiencies right away. Get Bard abilities/spells/skill later. But, I lose the Dex/Cha saves, 2 tools/instruments (DM says tools/inst. ok), and Bard's starting equipment.

• Bard X/Fighter 1 - Start with DEX/CHA proficiencies, 2 more instruments/tools (DM says tools/inst. ok), Entertainer's pack. Get fighting style,second wind, weapon/armor profs later. But I lose CON prof, HPs.

Fighting Style Options(if MC): Archery or Close Quarters Shooter(UA and modified by DM - no ranged disadv. at close range and +1 to attack)

ASI/Feat Options:

• Cha 18, SS, Cha 20, Dex 18, Warcaster or Elven accuracy or Alert or Lucky

• SS, Cha 18, Dex 18, Cha 20, Warcaster or Elven accuracy or Alert or Lucky

**RE: the unique package -
Basically start as a fighter for the CON saves and get Dex saves also using feat., also letting me have that 14 CON and 12 WIS to start, but delays ASI progression somewhat and takes a feat slot.

jgsugden

Legend
My bard archer build is ranger 5 / lore bard to 15. From level 2 you have Hunter's Mark and Archery, an extra attack on an adjacent at 3rd (or increased damage) and then multi at 5. You follow that us by adding spells, getting Haste at 11 and Swift Quiver at 15.

However, my favorite archer is an Eldritch Knight. They're versatile and strong with lots of RP opportunities.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Out of those options, Fighter 1 into Bard X, with the feat choices you listed in the unique package. Archery Fighting Style. (If you're firing at close range, something's gone wrong.)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
If you're going to go fighter 1 you might as well go fighter 2 for Action Surge. Staying HE and eventually rocking out with Sharpshooter and Elven Accuracy isn't a bad idea at all either. I'd start with F1 at least for the better Save proficiencies and then go Bard. If you really want to rock the archery thing, you can also always dip back in for one more fighter level to get Battle Master for the superiority dice and fancy maneuvers, many of which aren't limited to melee.

OlegRu

First Post
Out of those options, Fighter 1 into Bard X, with the feat choices you listed in the unique package. Archery Fighting Style. (If you're firing at close range, something's gone wrong.)

Yeah, I was pretty proud of myself when the idea came to me - niiiice stats.... the only thing is, by taking a DEX feat so early, I'm delaying both Casting power(CHA) and getting SS kinda late....or do you think it's not a big deal for this kind of char?

Yeah, you're right - I'd probably be keeping a distance and jumping behind stuff to hide, and using spells to push enemies away/hold them etc. when they get too close.

Re: Options - I'm open to other modifications - just don't want to lose more than 2 levels of bard, and don't want to do any kinda of warlocks/paladin type MCs...

OlegRu

First Post
If you're going to go fighter 1 you might as well go fighter 2 for Action Surge. Staying HE and eventually rocking out with Sharpshooter and Elven Accuracy isn't a bad idea at all either. I'd start with F1 at least for the better Save proficiencies and then go Bard. If you really want to rock the archery thing, you can also always dip back in for one more fighter level to get Battle Master for the superiority dice and fancy maneuvers, many of which aren't limited to melee.

Not sure if Action Surge is worth putting off all the abilities, especially casting power and spells, so I'm thinking doing just start at fighter for 1. Don't know if another 1 dip is worth it later...

What do you mean by staying "HE"?

OlegRu

First Post
My bard archer build is ranger 5 / lore bard to 15. From level 2 you have Hunter's Mark and Archery, an extra attack on an adjacent at 3rd (or increased damage) and then multi at 5. You follow that us by adding spells, getting Haste at 11 and Swift Quiver at 15.

However, my favorite archer is an Eldritch Knight. They're versatile and strong with lots of RP opportunities.

I'd try both build in another campaign... but here I'm really into the bard and all the skills, high level spells and so on :)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
HE = Half Elf, confusing, sorry. You did say he was a half elf didn't you? Only elves and half elves get Elven Accuracy.

Action Surge is totally worth it too, but do what gives you feels. It depends on how good you want your archery to be I guess, or more specifically, how important to your character concept it is that he be a really good archer. Archery Style/Action Surge/Sharpshooter/Elven Accuracy is really sexy, and even more so with superiority dice added on top, so if your want an archer worthy of song, that's a good place to start. If you're OK just being a decent archer then one level is fine, although my personally preference would be to dip no levels or at least two levels.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases