Best old-school dungeon crawl for 5e?

G

Guest 6801328

Thanks for all the answers. I was leaning toward Forge of Fury from Yawning Portal. Keep on the Borderland conversion is intriguing...I'll have to research that.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Rappan Athuk. For any level.

I'm running a campaign using the newly released 5e version. Massive book.

Just start them at the Mouth of Doom.

TftYP is a good bet. However, Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury and Dead in Thay aren't really old old school.

And Against the Giants is as boring today as it always was.

G

Guest 6801328

However, Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury and Dead in Thay aren't really old old school.

Yeah, I'll agree with that part. But...closer.

And Against the Giants is as boring today as it always was.

Spoken like a true grognard who can't remember what it's like to be new to the game. I'd have to put my first foray into the Steading as one of my top 5 all-time most exciting D&D games.

Then again, I was in junior high.

As are the players this is going to be for.

I'm thinking of using Against the Giants largely because some large, high-resolution maps are available and it would be fun to spread that across the table in full color.

I can say that my group went through Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury as the first part of Storm King's Thunder (I was underwhelmed at the opening chapter in the book) and had a fantastic time. Got them up to 5th level quite nicely.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Another vote for KotBL! We played it and it was pretty good (I played it in 1E/2E a long time ago, but no one else in our group knew it).

I've also been a fan of the Against the Giants modules, and Tales from the Yawning Portal is a good write-up of it.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Thanks for all the answers. I was leaning toward Forge of Fury from Yawning Portal. Keep on the Borderland conversion is intriguing...I'll have to research that.

If you are interested in KotBL, I can sell you our copy now that we're done with it. I'll give you a good price! :)

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Keep on the Borderland 5e conversion from Goodman Games. Quintessential D&D door kicking action.

What? Am I remembering something wrong? I've visited the Caves of Chaos a few times, and the impression that I got was that if you simply kicked the door down, you would aggro the entire place (well, one humanoid tribe, at least) and get cut to ribbons.

Remember, "Bree-yark" is goblin for "TPK."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases