More uses for ability scores?

Ashrym

Legend
For my next game I may consider using Int for Init instead of Dex, to balance those stats out a bit.

I would argue a DM could allow it now under the use of alternative ability score guidelines. It's a question of justifying it by making a plan beforehand. Convincing the DM your intelligent and well thought out plan prepares you for such an encounter should allow for the ability check swap.

I would argue a DM could allow it now under the use of alternative ability score guidelines. It's a question of justifying it by making a plan beforehand. Convincing the DM your intelligent and well thought out plan prepares you for such an encounter should allow for the ability check swap.

Perhaps. Except a party can’t plan for every combat. Sometimes the party gets jumped and just needs to react.

Ashrym

Legend
Perhaps. Except a party can’t plan for every combat. Sometimes the party gets jumped and just needs to react.

That's why a case needs to be made for it.

For example, the party is in familiar territory and knows the area contains patrols of hobgoblins and they lead with "this is what we plan on doing if we meet a patrol..." in advance I would consider the viability of the plan. If it's good I woild allow for the INT bonus substitution.

My expectation is a specific and reasonable plan.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Just to be sure to keep the thread on topic: this is not about switching one mechanic from one stat mod to another. I think we all know that Dex is a power stat and Int is under-represented in general, but I'm looking for idea to use the scores, no matter from which stat.

Anymore ideas?

Harzel

Adventurer
Average ability score can stay at 10 with +0 modifier, but it should scale from that on 1-on-1 basis;
11 is +1 mod
12 is +2 mod

This. In addition to making odd scores matter, it reduces the relative importance of the die roll, which, IMO, is all to the good. Problem is, for ability checks it requires rethinking about what particular DC values mean. I think that is feasible, though, and I have been thinking about doing something like this.

Bigger problem is if you use this for attack rolls, you have to somehow adjust all AC values. To me, that seems like too much of a chore. Unfortunately, that would leave one using scores in some contexts and modifiers in others, which is a bit inelegant in its own right.

You could use following house rule. ability check bonus increase on odd numbers.
So 11-12 is +1, 13-14 is +2 etc.
That would also throw a bone to the standard human, because with standard array you get +1 to 4 stat bonuses.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
You could use following house rule. ability check bonus increase on odd numbers.
So 11-12 is +1, 13-14 is +2 etc.
That would also throw a bone to the standard human, because with standard array you get +1 to 4 stat bonuses.
That doesn’t actually address the problem though, it just makes even numbered scores the mostly-useless ones instead of odd.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Just to be sure to keep the thread on topic: this is not about switching one mechanic from one stat mod to another. I think we all know that Dex is a power stat and Int is under-represented in general, but I'm looking for idea to use the scores, no matter from which stat.

Anymore ideas?

Here’s one:

First, get rid of saving throws. Use an “attacker always rolls” system where the ability score is the target number for any attacks that target that ability. So sacred flame, for example, would be a ranged spellcasting attack against the target’s Dexterity instead of forcing a Dexterity save.

That doesn’t actually address the problem though, it just makes even numbered scores the mostly-useless ones instead of odd.

No. Only ability checks. Attack rolls and saving throws and DCs are still the same as now. 10-11 +0, 12-13 +2.
I mean, if don't value combat as high as most people, better for you.
I hope you know the difference between an ability check and an attack roll or saving throw. Otherwise HEX is probably quite overpowered in your game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases