D&D 4E How To Clone 4E Using 5E Rules

Tony Vargas

Legend
5e hates to attack attended objects − but rationally, the magic ray damages the shield or the plate armor, not the person. Or the shield or armor actually reflects or deflects while being only cosmetically damaged.

I can accept that answer. It implies that your hps include your gear. …yeah, OK.

...what about the lassos & such, though?

Yaarel

He Mage
I can accept that answer. It implies that your hps include your gear. …yeah, OK.

...what about the lassos & such, though?

Lassos might have a ‘special’ attack. − But a shield would help prevent a lasso. The rest might be better to handwaive.

But, burning oil is effectively negated by armor. Likewise shield and armor effectively deter dragon breath and so on. How many times have I seen a picture of a knight with shield deflecting dragon fire!

Yaarel

He Mage
[MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION]

Heh, if anything, the lasso targets the Perception defense! Not the Reflex defense. Anyone paying attention can easily render a lasso useless.

Yaarel

He Mage

Heh, if anything, the lasso targets the Perception defense! Not the Reflex defense. Anyone paying attention can easily render a lasso useless.

Maybe Sneak Attack against an unaware target, targets the Perception defense thus bypasses the Reflex-Armor defense.

Tony Vargas

Legend

Forgot about the 4th defense. So, really, you do (kinda) have a touch AC, it's just not REF.

Yaarel

He Mage
I won't be doing above 21, wasn't planning on doing anything but I can do a template and design and people can take it from their if they want to go to level 30 that is on them. Cart before horse anyway, I would make some lvl 1 precons, then extend to level 5, then add in some other classes.

After you have done the precons then make up the missing powers, then expand level by level to 5. Do people like 4E type at wills or use the 5E ones and add some missing ones in?

And hopw do you use 1W, 2 etc make it a flat bonus like 1d10, 2d10 etc or use 5E type attacks?

I think it is fine to ignore Epic tier for now. Even ignore Paragon. Just work on Novice (1-4) and Heroic (5-12). Plenty to do. We can add more later once the foundation seems robust.

I hope to use 5e mechanics as-is, as much as possible. Only in a situation where a 4e-ism improves 5e, would I want to alter 5e.

I would just stick with the 5e weapon attack system, its math works fine.

I like non-random. The only dice I like to roll is d20.

According to 5e
• d4 ≈ 2
• d6 ≈ 3
• d8 ≈ 4
• d10 ≈ 5
• d12 ≈ 6
• 2d6 ≈ 7 (!) (the two .5s add up to +1, rather than rounding down)

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Like this??

1-4 student + 0
5-10 heroic +1
11 - 15 paragon +2
16- 20 epic +3

That is actually far closer to what i was thinking than I thought you were.
Not sure its enough though really.

In a system where +1 is as big a jump as it is in 5e? It should be plenty to have +3. That’s Legendary magic weapon territory.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Since 4e level 1 doesnt really happen until 5e level 5, it seems worthwhile to split up the concept of ‘class’ into separate tiers. In other words, a ‘class’ includes impactful choices, at different tiers. At level 1, the player chooses a Student Course. At level 5, the player chooses a Heroic Profession. At level 13, the player chooses a Paragon Path. At level 21, the player chooses an Epic Destiny.

That is a very interesting concept by the way... the choices path that creates is intriguing not certain yet on the levels but... the concept is rather cool. So the idea is that each tier choice is its own well class for that level range?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases