OSR [4e] OSR Clone

Zardnaar

Legend
Monsters would take a lot of work. You'd want to rescale CR to level to get the 1v1 model of 4E encounter design, but this already lines up with CR a bit with the new encounter calculator.

Monsters would probably fairly easy, changing the CR might be the easiest and staple on some 4E mechanics. I've used 4E monsters in 3.X and SWSE, AC and abilities changing is the main thing.

GreyLord

Legend
So I'm back, but only for a short while and then off again for a while. I've written up about 60 pages worth, but need a place to put the document.

If for nothing else so people can d/l it and view it and talk their minds about it. I'll post much of what I've done, or at least some samples on it.

Before beginning I would like to note that there are MANY clones that are not exactly like the version they are cloning. Some have ascending BAB and other items when the version they cloned didn't have anything like it. Others are more drastic.

Due to obvious reasons, there are many things that may NOT be exactly the same, though anyone familiar with 4e should immediately recognize the game.

One of the things that has come up is that there is a LOT of work that has to be done. My original idea was to merge things from Essentials, PHB1 and PHB2 into one document. As this is a free work that I'm not getting paid to do...and I have limited time, this is looking less and less likely. I have all the races at this point, but as I've been doing the Cleric...IT's a LOT OF WORK.

So, I think I'm going to have a poll of which classes people want most. I'm leaning to doing the full treatment for the Cleric, Fighter, Rogue and probably the Wizard. Cleric and Rogue probably had the biggest impact on their abilities with Essentials in my opinion (Cleric went from MAD to SAD, and to a degree, same with the Rogue). Other classes may be cut entirely, or I'm thinking of maybe doing something more limited where I don't include essentials or even cut down to listing a class by only two powers...or even worse...for a real quick and dirty...only one power per level for some of the least wanted classes. I'll probably put a poll up on this.

That's probably one of the biggest changes I've thought about thus far.

As I don't have a spot currently, I'm going to post some of what I've done here...you can comment on what you like, dislike, or other thoughts.

Finally, I'm going to do the OGL document first. After I have the OGL done, it will be VERY EASY to transfer ideas into 5e so I will do a 5e document which makes it possible to play in a 4e style. THAT, and ONLY THAT will probably go up on DMsGuild and will have to be placed in the Forgotten Realms. For this version you will need to have the 5e rulebooks as it will be based off the rules of the 5e SRD. It will basically incorporate a powers system that you can play with 5e if you desire, rather than any drastic changes to the 5e rules themselves. The most difficult part MAY be incorporating new classes, but as OA took place in the Forgotten Realms world (Faerun) having classes such as an Oriental Warlord, a Samurai, and other items should be doable...though the focus probably will not be so much on the Samurai.

I still do not have a home for the original document I'm making. If anyone wants to host, it would be nice. If someone knows where we could have a d/l spot (that has no spyware with it) that would also do in a pinch, especially for people to see the full document and evaluate what is being done as it progresses.

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
Some wording changes, that HAD to be made.

Prayers, Spells, Tricks, powers, etc = CAS = Combat Action System
Burst = Explosive
Blast = Explosive []
Shift = Move
Healing Surge = Healing Reaction
Bloodied = Injured
Range=Range
Melee=Melee
Burst Area = Block within number
Area Wall = Block line
Any line which lists weapon but not a melee means a melee weapon with someone attacking with it
Hit - Damage Type
Second Wind=Reinvigoration
Damage Types = Acid, Frost/ice fire, lightning, poison, Sonic, Necromatic, Angelic, Psychological (or Psychodelic...haven't decided).

This will NOT be included in the final document or anywhere in the document. I will not include the terms as 4e has it as that skirts too close to the edge for me (already stretching it far closer than I like in some areas). It has to be based more on the OGL rather than 4e in some areas. Some terms just have to be flat out renamed something else and mean something slightly different.

A prime example is move. There is no shift or push, it is just moving. This is then defined as when done outside of a move action, it will be defined in the power whether and opportunity attack can be used against a creature that is moved by a CAS. Unless the CAS defines it being able to be hit by an Attack of Opportunity, it cannot be.

GreyLord

Legend
Alignment helps to define a Characters actions and guide a Player in playing a role for that character in trying to have a character that acts in certain ways. Alignment works on two axis’s that of Good/Evil and that of Law/Chaos. If viewed in a more linear fashion, even though the alignment works on two axis, there are certain alignments viewed more socially “good” and those that are more socially unacceptable or “Evil” as one would put it. On a more linear scale the Alignments are listed as such from what is seen as a higher ideal by society to those that society views as destructive to civilization and the good of the community.

Lawful Good – You believe in Laws, personal codes, and order. You also believe in putting others over self, the good of society above the one, the group above personal desires.

Good – You believe in putting others over self, the good of society above the one, the group above personal desires…BUT…if rules need to be broken to accomplish good ends, you will do so.

Neutral (Unaligned) – You have no specific way or belief, but normally do not trend to always put yourself first, or to put others first. There is a balance in your life between what you need as an individual, and what you should do to help out society and others. Unaligned creatures can also be those that are the natural state, where natural survival is what should be followed. It is one where nature is allowed to take it’s course and natural law and survival instinct are what dictates a world rather than the order of men, or the selfish desires of men as well.

Lawful Evil – Order, Laws, Honor and Codes are absolutely necessary, however, one can utilize and interpret these in order to get ahead in life. All have a social standing, some higher, some lower. Obviously you belong at the top.

Chaotic – Anti-Authority. If you are told to do something, typically you may do the exact opposite. Laws are made to be broken. You are the most unpredictable of elements out there.

Chaotic Evil – You disregard all order, laws, and normally do not even have a personal code. You are in it for only one person…yourself. You come first before anyone or anything.

Chaotic and Chaotic alignments are normally seen as disruptive and unless a player can abide by a few rules to help keep harmony with a group, these two alignments are discouraged.

GreyLord

Legend
Levels of Play
There are 4 Levels of Play of the game. They are

Veteran – These are the small town heroes of their area. They are already trained and hardened with experience in adventures and decision making. This is the stage where your characters begin and are typically between levels 1-10

Mastery – This is the Level of Play where characters are at the height of their abilities. They are at the top of the food chain in their organizations, groups, and workings. These are the Lords that have attained rank by deeds, the heroes of the nations and worlds. At this level they are saving their nations and regions from the forces beyond. These characters are typically between levels 11-20

Legendary – Most never know one in this Level of Play, much less are one of these figures of legend. These are where the heroes of Greek Legend come in such a Pericles or Achilles. This is where the legends are born and the stories of their experiences echo through history. These do not just affect their nation, but the entire history of the world and sometimes the entirety of the Planes beyond. These characters are typically between levels 21-30.

Immortal – Those who enter these levels normally have attained a level of immortality, life eternal where they do not age or die. Magic itself has entered their beings infusing them with a part of the portions of the universal and the infinite planes beyond. This is where Deities and their foes reside in Challenges and ability. These are for levels and Challenges that exceed that of level 31+

Rising up Levels – As your character gains Experience points they gain levels. AS they gain levels they gain abilities called Combat Actions. There are four different types of Combat Actions, those that can be done anytime (anytime CAS or at-will), those that can be done once per encounter called Encounter Combat Actions, those that can be done once per day or Daily Combat Actions, and those that can be done outside of Combat (useful utility actions) as well as in combat called Situational Combat Actions.

Each level you gain one or more of these Actions (Depending on your class), however you are limited to how many of these actions you can do each day (With the exception of Anytime CAS. Any Combat Action you get can be done multiple times a day, but only to the maximum listed on the table below.

Regardless of any other number, you only can possess two Anytime CAS from your class that you can use as you level up.

GreyLord

Legend
Level Experience Ability Score Feats Powers (Encounter/Daily/Situational)
1 0 - 1 1/1/0
2 1,000 - 2 1/1/1
3 2,000 - 2 2/1/1
4 3,500 +1 to 2 3 2/1/1
5 5,000 - 3 2/2/1
6 7,500 - 4 2/2/2
7 10,000 - 4 3/2/2
8 13,000 +1 to 2 5 3/2/2
9 16,000 - 5 3/3/2
10 20,000 - 6 3/3/3
11 26,000 +1 to all 6 4/3/3
12 32,000 - 7 4/3/4