OSR [4e] OSR Clone

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Couldn't you make a clone and release it on DM's Guild to avoid the hassle of sticking to the OGL since the DM'sGuild allows a lot more IP usage?

Not if you want to build an enduring standalone brand of your own. Depends on your long term plans, I guess.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nothing snaps a h4ter back to full edition war mode

Edition wars haven’t been a thing for years. Language like “h4ter” is only used by those still trying to hang on to them. Please do not use terminology like that here again. Thanks.

Voadam

Legend
Tiefling and Dragonborn also cannot be utilized. I'm more likely to go with the term of Dragonmen or Dracs or Dracomen instead for Dragonborn...Tieflings on the otherhand...unsure.

The terms tiefling and dragonborn absolutely can be used. Tieflings are in the 3e srds in the monster section under planetouched and dragonborn are in the 5e srd and you can use OGC from any OGL product.

GreyLord

Legend
The terms tiefling and dragonborn absolutely can be used. Tieflings are in the 3e srds in the monster section under planetouched and dragonborn are in the 5e srd and you can use OGC from any OGL product.

I was under the impression that the SRD didn't necessarily allow all of it to be used under the OGL, I could be mistaken though. If is covered as useable under the 3e OGL, then that would mean we are good to go with them.

pemerton

Legend
at time's I've looked up something in OSRIC and it seemed word-for-word identical.
Well, some people think that OSRIC is on the margins (or crossing the margins) of copyright infringement. [MENTION=463]S'mon[/MENTION] and I have discussed this before - I'm a bit more doubtful of its legality than S'mon but he's the better IP lawyer of the two of us - so probably it's OK! (If only just.)

pemerton

Legend
You can't use Dragonborn, Warlords, Tieflings etc as they are not covered.
Warlord should not be a problem in my opinion. Many OGL products have classes that have similar or the same name as D&D. WotC can copyright the Warlord as a specific thing, but the actual Word Warlord should be able to be used in an OGL product.

Obviously, just as with the other classes (and this would apply to ANY class) it cannot be a copy and paste job and must be original and in accordance with the OGL.

As Warlord as a description of a military leader has been in use for over a millennia, I do not see a difficulty in using it in the same context as it's dictionary definition for a class that operates as a leader. It should be fine using it as a class name in relation to the dictionary meaning which WotC cannot copyright (unless they take a LOT more than simply one small group to court).

If people still feel it is problematic we could change it's term to Military officer or Regal, Noble, or something else.
Change warlord to Commander, it's a better name and a more accurate discription of the actual class which often isn't being played as someone who is an actual warlord.
For warlord I would suggest the Tolkienesque battle captain.

But anyway I agree it's not a problem if you're not using WotC's IP (ie neither their text nor their trade dress).

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well, some people think that OSRIC is on the margins (or crossing the margins) of copyright infringement. [MENTION=463]S'mon[/MENTION] and I have discussed this before - I'm a bit more doubtful of its legality than S'mon but he's the better IP lawyer of the two of us - so probably it's OK! (If only just.)
I wonder if it isn't also something WotC just saw the wisdom in letting slide? The OSR movement has arguably been good for 5e, building buzz around D&D and it's status in the history of hobby games.

Voadam

Legend
I was under the impression that the SRD didn't necessarily allow all of it to be used under the OGL, I could be mistaken though. If is covered as useable under the 3e OGL, then that would mean we are good to go with them.

From page one of the 5e SRD:[sblock]
The following
items
are
designated
Product
Identity,
as
defined
in
Section
1(e)
of
the
Open
Game
License
Version
1.0a,
and
are
subject
to
the
conditions
set
forth
in
Section
of
the
OGL,
and
are
not
Open
Content:

Dungeons
&
Dragons,
D&D,
Player’s
Handbook,
Dungeon
Master,
Monster
Manual,
d20
System,
Wizards
of
the
Coast,
d20
(when
used
as
a
trademark),
Forgotten
Realms,
Faerûn,
proper
names
(including
those
used
in
the
names
of
spells
or
items),
places,
Underdark,
Red
Wizard
of
Thay,
the
City
of
Union,
Heroic
Domains
of
Ysgard,
Ever-­‐‑
Changing
Chaos
of
Limbo,
Windswept
Depths
of
Pandemonium,
Infinite
Layers
of
the
Abyss,
Tarterian
Depths
of
Carceri,
Gray
Waste
of
Hades,
Bleak
Eternity
of
Gehenna,
Nine
Hells
of
Baator,
Infernal
Battlefield
of
Acheron,
Clockwork
Nirvana
of
Mechanus,
Peaceable
Kingdoms
of
Arcadia,
Seven
Mounting
Heavens
of
Celestia,
Twin
Paradises
of
Bytopia,
Blessed
Fields
of
Elysium,
Wilderness
of
the
Beastlands,
Olympian
Glades
of
Arborea,
Concordant
Domain
of
the
Outlands,
Sigil,
Lady
of
Pain,
Book
of
Exalted
Deeds,
Book
of
Vile
Darkness,
beholder,
gauth,
carrion
crawler,
tanar’ri,
baatezu,
displacer
beast,
githyanki,
githzerai,
mind
flayer,
illithid,
umber
hulk,
yuan-­‐‑ti.

All
of
the
rest
of
the
SRD5
is
Open
Game
Content
as
described
in
Section
1(d)
of
the
License.
[/sblock]

I sblocked it because their PDF is terrible and every word copied out is turned into its own line.

The specific names of planes, some monsters that were not OGC in 3.5, and little bits like dungeon master and D&D and Forgotten Realms and Underdark are all PI and cannot be used if you use the OGC from the 5e srd.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Change warlord to Commander, it's a better name and a more accurate discription of the actual class which often isn't being played as someone who is an actual warlord. .
Paladins are rarely being played as knights of Charlemagne, nor or Sorcerers as gaining their powers from spirits, nor Clerics as issueing fatwas.

Commander is much narrower, and more strongly implies just barking orders (one of the more controversial visualizations), rather than inspiration, leading by example, executing cooperative maneuvers or giving tactical advice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases