OSR [4e] OSR Clone

Voadam

Legend
So, you sblocked it instead of simply editing it into a single paragraph? *gives Voadam the stink eye*

I invite you to edit it and repost it yourself.:)

However note that the last sentence is a separate paragraph.

I am still astounded that the official reference document for copying OGC legally is designed to turn every word into a new paragraph when copied.

Tony Vargas

Legend
HOWEVER...what I do not see being able to be done is to have the classes of Avenger, Invoker, or Warden be classes that are even similar to those in the PHB 2 as there is no historical context in the way the D&D made them as classes as far as I'm aware of.

No Goliaths, Deva's or shifters either. .
The Warden and Avenger never gelled for me. I never did see where the former concept came from (beyond corner of Primal & Defender grid-filling - not that there's anything wrong with filling a grid, if you're gonna have one, anyway). And while the latter was clear enough I never quite got how it was intended to be played - didn't stop multiple players from having a great time playing one in my games, though.

Anyway, actual topic, needing to scrub off the names like that really obviates some of the point of 'cloning,' in the first place, doesn't it?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Ironically Battlemaster == Warlord mnemonically even if the 5e version of it really isnt up to snuff functionally

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Adopting a liberal interpretation of "PH" and "two words", I came up with the following: Fighting Man. Magic-User. Wu Jen. Thief-Acrobat.

And they are all gone burger. It's like when you see 3pp and they use two names. Or some like Dusk Blade or Sword Mage even if they merge the to one name it's kinda bad. Dragon Shaman is another example.

Warlord not really a great name in a vacumn, Commander is also decent you get an idea what the class is about.

I'm a big fan of single names for classes.

Xeviat

Hero
I've been really wanting to do this myself. I think 5E could be converted into 4E style rather easily. My ideas for it are a little more of a marriage between 4E and 5E.

4E round structure isn't hard, you're just changing the language on bonus actions.

At-will weapon attacks and cantrips would either be powered up compared to 5E, or you could weaken them to line up with 5E math better.

Spell slots could be converted into an Encounter/daily structure, with the 20th level endpoint looking like the Warlock; 1st through 5th would be encounter, 6th through 9th as dailies. Utilities would need heavy discussion.

I personally don't think role should be hard married to class. I think role should be tied to subclass, then you can stick with the 5E 12 classes.

Xeviat

Hero
Monsters would take a lot of work. You'd want to rescale CR to level to get the 1v1 model of 4E encounter design, but this already lines up with CR a bit with the new encounter calculator.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases