Critical Role Watch Critical Role's Matt Mercer Play D&D With TV's Stephen Colbert!

Matthew Mercer (DM of Critical Role) and Stephen Colbert (host of The Colbert Report) played a game of D&D for Red Nose Day (the longstanding Comic Relief telethon event). It's just the two of them, one-on-one, in a 45-minute adventure!

Matthew Mercer (DM of Critical Role) and Stephen Colbert (host of The Colbert Report) played a game of D&D for Red Nose Day (the longstanding Comic Relief telethon event). It's just the two of them, one-on-one, in a 45-minute adventure!

Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 00.10.22.png

Red Nose Day is a longstanding British institution which traditionally takes place in March, founded in 1985, and raises funds for children in poverty, and has raised over a billion pounds for charity. It also takes place in several other countries, and the US edition launched in 2015 and takes place in May.

Stephen Colbert has long been known as one of many celebrities who enjoy Dungeons & Dragons. This game took place in New York recently, and funds were raised by donations which actually affected the game.

[video=youtube;3658C2y4LlA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3658C2y4LlA[/video]

Both Colbert and D&D superfan Joe Manganiello discussed D&D on The Late Show.

[video=youtube;pD0epul2H94]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD0epul2H94[/video]​

Harzel

Adventurer
So as good as this was, the obvious question becomes, when does Stephen Colbert become a regular on a streaming YouTube D&D 5e game? Sign him up, Matt Mercer!

I would not hold my breath about Colbert being a 'regular' D&D streamer, but given his "I hope we can do this again" comment I will be surprised if he doesn't guest on Critical Role at some point (unless there's some contractual thing with CBS or whatnot that would prevent it).

Staffan

Legend
I would not hold my breath about Colbert being a 'regular' D&D streamer, but given his "I hope we can do this again" comment I will be surprised if he doesn't guest on Critical Role at some point (unless there's some contractual thing with CBS or whatnot that would prevent it).

Maybe Matt could set him up with Ashley Johnson, who after all spends much of her time in New York these days.

First comic book movies not only become mainstream but the biggest movies in the world. Now, Dungeons and Dragons is becoming cool. Who knew all those kids who picked on me were wrong, that I WAS the cool one. #validation #geeksrule

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Yeah, if people want to know how D&D was played back in the day, this is a good example, with his devotion to examining everything in pedantic detail and assuming there were traps everywhere :D

He didn't examine the wizard's bed very well. You know, the one poised under a torch, ready to light the whole room on fire?

Henry

Autoexreginated
I hope that, given his obvious enjoyment, that even if he doesn’t play games that are broadcast any more, that he doesn’t stop and decides to start some regular gaming - Hell, plenty of people even have lunch-hour games at work because it’s the best place for them to fit a game!

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter

Or maybe playing a one-shot for charity will become an annual thing with him. Maybe next time they could get a whole party of celebrity players together--maybe Joe Mangianello will participate, for example.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
That was fun, sad that it had to be so rushed though. A 3 hour game with a couple of fellow adventurers would be awesome. Really hope he makes it an annual charity event with fellow celebs (and run by Matt).

Remove ads

Remove ads