offline campaign tools

Hello people. I'm looking for offline campaign tools and managing stuff. I live off grid so online stuff is a no go. I need software that will work offline. For those that might say something. Im at the library. Any help or info would be great. With my ADHD my adventures never end and would love to put them to paper.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Hello people. I'm looking for offline campaign tools and managing stuff. I live off grid so online stuff is a no go. I need software that will work offline. For those that might say something. Im at the library. Any help or info would be great. With my ADHD my adventures never end and would love to put them to paper.

Yeah, I just use pen and paper. There’s no substitute- the OS is always current and it never crashes. The monthly subscriptions are minimal.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yeah, I just use pen and paper. There’s no substitute- the OS is always current and it never crashes. The monthly subscriptions are minimal.
And graph paper! Who doesn't love the possibilities contained in those wonderful light blue gridlines. Besides, when you have the graph paper out you're obviously doing "important work". Seriously though - blank paper, graph paper, index cards, and sticky notes, plus maybe a white board of some kind and you have endless design possibilities.

Bawylie

A very OK person
And graph paper! Who doesn't love the possibilities contained in those wonderful light blue gridlines. Besides, when you have the graph paper out you're obviously doing "important work". Seriously though - blank paper, graph paper, index cards, and sticky notes, plus maybe a white board of some kind and you have endless design possibilities.

That and a couple binders and dividers, and brothers, you’re there.

Inchoroi

Adventurer

Hardcover sketchbooks! Durable, go anywhere, bring lots of pens and pencils. You can even get dot matrix journals that are hardcover, too, to make it easy to draw maps as well.

For computer based options, use OneNote. It does not require an online anything, although it can be used to back up your stuff online just in case.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I find Campaign Logger to be a very useful tool.

https://campaign-logger.com/

It has both online and offline versions. Essentially, it allows you to easily tag entries with categorized keywords.

For example, an @ indicates a person, while a # indicates a place. So if I created a short entry like the following:

@"Fanalialae" wrote a post on #"ENWorld".

Fanalialae would show up under the Person category, and ENWorld would show up under Places. I could then click either of those tags to bring up all entries containing those tags.

Admittedly, while it is intended as a DMing tool, I tend to use notebooks and Obsidian Portal primarily when DMing. It would likely be a useful addition to my DM's tools but I'm old, stubborn, and set in my ways.

But it's phenomenal as a player. I have a DM who creates deep, rich, convoluted world's to explore. If you don't pay close attention, you can and will miss things. So nowadays I take handwritten notes during game and then transcribe them into Campaign Logger, tagging anything I think might be relevant. It makes unraveling the mysteries of his world so much easier than working from memory, since I just click a tag and see all entries that contain that tag. It's also nice when my DM asks when the last time was that the party resupplied, and I can give him the exact in-game day.

While you can export the text, it's not entirely ideal as-is because it does leave the tag symbols in. I wrote a program that automatically scrubs them out, so that it's easy to update the Adventure Log in OP when I rewrite my notes.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Well aren't you fancy. "I wrote a program that automatically scrubs them out.." he said, #humblebrag.;)

Fanaelialae

Legend
Well aren't you fancy. "I wrote a program that automatically scrubs them out.." he said, #humblebrag.;)

I honestly didn't intend it that way. It was more of a, the exported logs are not entirely pretty so you'd probably want a way to clean them. I did it manually for a while, using Find/Replace. But as the log grew it became less convenient. Hence the program. But if you don't care about exporting the logs for reading, it's a non-issue.

That said, I remembered another tool I recently was impressed with. I picked up the Oldskull Dungeon Tools.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/242284

It's an Excel spreadsheet that auto generates random adventures, dungeon rooms, etc with high randomization. It's nice to use as a prompt for times when I have writers block (or am just feeling a little lazy). It doesn't generate everything for you though. Like I said, it's more of a writing prompt.

It's intended for use with Microsoft Excel. That said, I've found it works fine with Libre Office. It's just that instead of hitting F9 to reroll all formulas, you need to hit Ctrl+Shift+F9.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases