[5e Statblock] Please add "OR" or "AND" in the list of monster attacks

Travis Henry

First Post
Hi, I'm fairly new to 5E. The monster statblocks are pretty clean. One thing that would help me more quickly grok what a monster can do at a glance, is to include the word "OR" in all caps, between the list of Attack options. Or "AND" in between the Multiattack options.

Harzel

Adventurer
I'm a little confused. You seem already to understand that there is an implicit OR connecting all the Action options. (I assume this is what you meant by Attack options.) AFAIK, there are no exceptions to this. Are there exceptions that I am not thinking of?

For Multiattack, can you give an example of a Multiattack description in which "and" is not present but would make things clearer if added?

Or are you just talking about the difference between "and" and "AND"? I will admit that I often rewrite stat blocks to eliminate the wild excess of verbiage and usually replace an "and" in a Multiattack description with "+", which has somewhat the same effect as caps would - a more easily spied delimiter.

E.g.
Multiattack. The dragon can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws.
vs.
Multiattack. Frightful Presence + bite + 2x claw

Maybe it's just that I have spent a lifetime reading code, but it boggles my mind that anyone could consider the former more usable than the latter. But it's only one of the many things I find user unfriendly about the 5e's presentation.

Anyway, AFAIK the 5e authors do not frequent these boards, so complaints/requests/suggestions registered here are unlikely to have much effect.

jasper

Rotten DM
I think he means
Actions,
Multiattack Fightful Presecen bite 2 x claw
Jasper Smack Down recharge 6
====
so the question is can a creature use the multiattack, and any other actions listed in the same round.

Oofta

Legend
What can we help clear up the confusion? If we look at an adult black dragon we have

Multiattack. The dragon can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws.

Any time you see the label "Multiattack" it's telling you that the monster can do all of those things listed (with appropriate "and's" and "or's" as necessary) as it's action on it's turn. It goes on to give details about the bites, claws and Frightful Presence. The Acid Breath is not part of the Multiattack so it can't be done on the same turn*.

*Unless of course the dragon has been Hasted or something similar which gives an extra action.

5ekyu

Hero
To the OP, the section of the stat block for attacks etc us titled "Actions" and it lists the actions specifics that the creature can take.

By default, you only get one action each turn, but there are exceptions. So, it's not really "or" vs "and" but "do you have one action or more?"

Festures that use reactions or bonus actions are normally noted as such specifically.

aco175

Legend
Exactly what [MENTION=6919838]5ekyu[/MENTION] said. It took a bit to understand that you only have one action per round. Everything listed is your action, but multiattack is most times the best use of the only action unless you have a recharge like dragon breath.

Travis Henry

First Post
Black Dragon Wyrmling:

Actions
Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d10 + 2) piercing damage plus 2 (1d4) acid damage.
OR
Acid Breath (Recharge 5-6): The dragon exhales acid in a 15-foot line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 11 Dexterity saving throw, taking 22 (5d8) acid damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Travis Henry

First Post
Doppleganger:

Actions:
Multiattack: The doppelganger makes two melee [Slam?] attacks.
Slam: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage.​
OR
Read Thoughts: The doppelganger magically reads the surface thoughts of one creature within 60 feet of it. The effect can penetrate barriers, but 3 feet of wood or dirt, 2 feet of stone, 2 inches of metal, or a thin sheet of lead blocks it. While the target is in range, the doppelganger can continue reading its thoughts, as long as the doppelganger’s concentration isn’t broken (as if concentrating on a spell). While reading the target’s mind, the doppelganger has advantage on Wisdom (Insight) and Charisma (Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion) checks against the target.

Wight:

Actions:
Multiattack: The wight makes two longsword attacks or two longbow attacks. It can use its Life Drain in place of one longsword attack.
Longsword: Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) slashing damage, or 7 (1d10 + 2) slashing damage if used with two hands.
OR
Longbow: Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage.
OR
Life Drain: Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) necrotic damage. The target must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or its hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken. This reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0. A humanoid slain by this attack rises 24 hours later as a zombie under the wight’s control, unless the humanoid is restored to life or its body is destroyed. The wight can have no more than twelve zombies under its control at one time.​

Giant Frog:

Actions:
Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6 + 1) piercing damage, and the target is Grappled (escape DC 11). Until this grapple ends, the target is Restrained, and the frog can’t bite another target.
OR
Swallow: The frog makes one bite attack against a Small or smaller target it is grappling. If the attack hits, the target is swallowed, and the grapple ends. The swallowed target is Blinded and Restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the frog, and it takes 5 (2d4) acid damage at the start of each of the frog’s turns. The frog can have only one target swallowed at a time.

Bugbear:

Actions:
Morningstar: Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d8 + 2) piercing damage.
OR
Javelin: Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d6 + 2) piercing damage in melee or 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage at range.

Adult Green Dragon:

Actions:
Multiattack: The dragon can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws.
Frightful Presence: Each creature of the dragon’s choice that is within 120 feet of the dragon and aware of it must succeed on a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw or become Frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the dragon’s Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
AND
Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d10 + 6) piercing damage plus 7 (2d6) poison damage.
AND
Claw: Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d6 + 6) slashing damage.
AND
Tail: Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d8 + 6) bludgeoning damage.​
OR
Poison Breath (Recharge 5-6): The dragon exhales poisonous gas in a 60-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw, taking 56 (16d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases