Ye Come Back Inn

Nagol

Unimportant
So does that mean in effect that the Welcome Inn and the Comeback Inn are the same thing/place?

That doesn't jive with my memory, but that says nothing as my memory is far from perfect... :)

The Welcome Inn isn't referenced. The three names in the module are the Comeback Inn, the Prison Out of Time, and the Inn between Worlds.

It's a fairly common set of tropes. Even Elric had a an equivalent with the Vanishing Tower. So the Welcome Inn and skiip's version of the Comeback Inn are probably separate instances.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
It is from Dave's original Blackmoor game, and then put into the Adventures in Blackmoor series. Cannot recall if it come up in First Fantasy Campaign or not.

EDIT- Yup...here's the paragraph from TFFC (also there is a fun illustration)

"Half price booze and lodgings, however, when you leave you find yourself coming back into the inn (walking out backwards does not help). To get out (attempts to burn the place down, etc., will have you beaten by the patrons) a player who has not come into the Inn grasps your arm (leg, whatever) just as you reach the door (window, etc.) , from his position outside the Inn, and pulls you out. Jumping off the roof finds you landing in the taproom from the ceiling. Evil Chaotic types cannot enter. Good place to pick up information"

I am fairly positive Dave Hargrave also had a spin on this in Arduin with the same name.

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Basically, when you check-out & try to leave, you find you are walking in as you are walking out. Same thing with windows.

So--"you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"?

Sounds like this might actually predate the song, though, if it's from original Blackmoor.

Remove ads