Why Are Monster Bonus Action Options Usually Listed in the Traits Section?

Just curious why most of the monsters I've seen that have a Bonus Action option have that option hidden up in the traits section of the statblock. I often end up forgetting about them because they don't have their own section, like Reactions do.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Just curious why most of the monsters I've seen that have a Bonus Action option have that option hidden up in the traits section of the statblock. I often end up forgetting about them because they don't have their own section, like Reactions do.

Not sure why it is. Bonus actions should be listed after actions as Reactions are. This is a good reason (among others) to transcribe them into a format you can use at the table. I find the transcription process helps to cement the aspects of the creature in my mind. I can also add a brief description too.

Shiroiken

Legend
Probably because they are so rare that they didn't want to bother with an additional section, like they did with reactions. It would make sense for them to be listed separately IMO, however.

dave2008

Legend
Bonus Actions are supposed to be different than regular actions. You only have one if a feature (or trait) says you do. So there is a certain logic to locating them in traits. Of course, there would also be a logic to putting it in its own section (like Reactions). However, I do find it saves saves space to have them in the traits area instead of its own section.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
Same reason why Warlock Invocations that are locked to particular Pacts/Patrons aren't listed under their respective Pacts/Patrons - WotC suck at basic arrangement.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases