[5E] Disguise Self - Scope and RAW

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I recommend taking a look at the social interaction rules in the DMG. It provides a useful structure for creating a challenge as opposed to just social interaction for the sake of exposition. An "intrigue heavy social interaction kind of thing" is going to lack a lot of exciting stakes, unlike combat, so that's another thing I'd look at and the challenge structure in the DMG will help.
There's some useful stuff in the DMG, but the parts about ideals, and flaws and whatnot won't work for me - I dislike that whole mechanic, although I can (and probably will) replace it with a couple of other things. I'm working on stuff related more to handling whispers, gossip, rumors, reputation and the like to compliment more direct social interaction (although I still don't have a system I'm 100% happy with for the former).

Stakes won't be an issue. Combat will still be a significant part of the campaign, but it'll be more like duels, knives in the dark and chases though alleyways rather than rooms full or Orcs. Stir in some high stakes mission impossible style infiltration and political shenanigans with deadly consequence and I feel like I'll be ok if I design it right. My best weapon to create a sense of urgency there is time, which is actually just as true in a dungeon adventure for the most part.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
There's some useful stuff in the DMG, but the parts about ideals, and flaws and whatnot won't work for me - I dislike that whole mechanic, although I can (and probably will) replace it with a couple of other things.

What don't you like about the mechanic?

As it is written, it might actually work quite well with this disguise self tactic. It's one thing to look like someone. It's another thing to act like them and that may require learning traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws, which encourages the players to interact and explore to gain a further edge.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I dislike tracking that many data points just to hand out inspiration, which is also a mechanic i dont like. They're fine as role playing aids I guess, but since I'll be hacking inspiration anyway I might as well change both parts. I've seen better treatments of the same basic idea that I like a lot more.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I dislike tracking that many data points just to hand out inspiration, which is also a mechanic i dont like. They're fine as role playing aids I guess, but since I'll be hacking inspiration anyway I might as well change both parts. I've seen better treatments of the same basic idea that I like a lot more.

I thought that might be the issue. Perhaps this will help: The Case for Inspiration.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases