D&D 2E Returning to 2nd Edition

Zardnaar

Legend
Is that all? My humans are similar, I found some notes where humans gain a +1 to an ability score of their choice with a maximum of 18.

Yeah I might chose some optional rules to use but I don't consider them houserules. Its mostly in the presentation.

Say I wanted to run Game of Thrones what do you use?

Classes Allowed

Barbarian
Thief
Fighter
Spell less Ranger (via DMG or Skills and Powers)
Wizards. Illusionists and Shadowmage only (Shadowmage is in Spells and Magic)
Priests (Specialty priests only, NPC Druids via Children of the Forests)

Other rules
Low Magic rules (historical series)
Write up a speciality priest/variant ranger
Critical hit tables From Combat and Tactics.

Game of Thrones D&D on less than 10 pages.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
If you want less hitting and fewer hit points, a "fix" we are considering is making base AC equal to 8 plus proficiency bonus (works so at lower levels is equal to base 10). This represents higher level characters being harder to hit because of their experience in combat. Scale AC up for monsters with proficiency bonus greater than 2, basically add proficiency bonus - 2 to AC and its the same thing.

Limit hit dice to 9-10 levels, and then have 1-3 static hp and no more Con bonus.
Do away with death saves and return to negative HP. You can go negative equal to your first level HP. After that, you're dead.

Make a short rest 8 hours and a long rest 24 hours. If you want, slow down how fast hp is recovered by making a long rest restore 1 hp per level and a short rest none.
If you go negative, you need to rest for a week or something maybe?

Get rid of cheesy "oh, don't let the character die" spells, particularly Revivify. Worst idea ever in D&D IMO. For the most part, it makes death a non-issue after 5th level. Last session, an NPC our party was protecting died. TWICE. Solution: cast Revivify. Horrible, simply horrible.

If you must keep it, don't make it a guarantee. Make it require a check or something so the character has maybe a 50/50 chance of recovering and not dying.

But, I know what the OP means. If I could convince our group, I would at least want to show them 2E or even 1E or the box sets. Our DM has about 15 pages of house-rules for 5E, I had 3 pages for 1E and 2E--combined.

Zardnaar

Legend
And 2e didn't have a good psionic system, so I'd call that a wash.

Neither does 5E, its complete in 2E and it can do the job with 2E material. Psionics didn't really feel like psionics in 3E or 4E. Psionics is banned anyway except for Darksun.

Zardnaar

Legend
Humor is obviously lost on you, Z.

What is this "humour" concept that you speak of.

And what is this "humor" word, that is not how its spelt.

Anyway I have a holy trinity, its B/X, 2E and 5E I don't really have a favourite out of those 3. I would probably pick 5E if forced, but 2E if stuck on a desert island with a gaming group and only 1 D&D for the rest of your life.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
How many times has a character fallen unconscious in your 5E games? Those would all be deaths in 2E.
I've had more character deaths at my 5e table than I had when I was running 2e...

... though that's not remotely fair, since I've run lots of 1st-level 5e, and my 2e DMing cut in the middle of a 10-year campaign.

I clearly recall Death's Door was optional in 1e (though common), I thought it was standard in 2e, along with max @ 1st. So, very like 5e. Heck, if you have less than 10hps at 1st level, you're actually more likely to encounter instant death in 5e.

But, if you're running Death at 0, sure, it's hardly worth naming characters.

Well, I will say that over on Fantasy Grounds their is actually a growing 2E community. I'm sure it's growth is limited, but since they introduced an official 2E AD&D ruleset and the core books to go with it a couple months ago, their is a bit of a revival over there. No idea how long it will last or how big it will grow, but if you want to play 2E, you can do it anywhere in the world.

Zardnaar

Legend
Another thing I noticed reading 2E now.

Weapon styles 1989.
Advantage/disadvantage mechanics 1991/1995.
Microfeats in concept 1989.
Land Druids 1994
Wild magic 1991

How many times has a character fallen unconscious in your 5E games? Those would all be deaths in 2E.

Depends on your table. In my old days of playing 1st and 2nd edition, we were already using the houserule of not dead til at -10 HP. Been so long that I do not remember if that ever became an official rule before 3rd edition or not.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases