D&D 2E Returning to 2nd Edition

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I have a lot of nostalgia for 1e/2e AD&D, basic D&D and OD&D. Out of all the rules, there's only one that keeps me from playing it ever again: Descending armor class. Everything else I can deal with. I'm never going to put up with the attack roll -- the most basic roll in the entire game -- being even slightly more complicated than it is in 3e+. I don't care if the DM is willing to completely handle the charts or run THAC0. It's not happening.

We made these little custom blocks where you would write in the AC you would hit based on what showed up on the d20, so there was no math involved, but your point is completely valid nonetheless haha.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
This is not my recollection of 2e at all, and I played A LOT of it in high school and college!

Once you got past the lower levels (where admittedly mages, at least, could have a rough time), casters were basically superheroes. The linear fighter, quadratic wizard was a huge issue back then. I remember getting access to stone skin: when the DM has to change his approach to encounters just to challenge 1 spell, there's a problem.

And once you got past those low levels, low magic as a setting crease to exist for the players - casters had access to too much.

Now if you dump/nerf casters, maybe you'd get there.

There was some power there, but the trick was in successfully casting. It was highly interruptable in 2e to a degree not easily matched in subsequent editions. Initiative, action declaration, and casting time played a significant role in this, though it could be fairly complex at times. Stoneskin may have been a fairly useful counter to that, but it was ablated away by attacks directed at the wizard - whether they hit or not. So it never lasted that long. The material of diamond dust wasn't given a defined cost until Players Option: Spells and Magic and that put it at 100gp/casting. So, unless the DM was handwaving that away, it wasn't the cheapest spell to cast willy nilly.

Save or die spells were also increasingly sketchy as you went up in levels compared to 3e in particular. There was no way to increase the difficulty of the save and the tougher the monster, the easier it made its saves.

Zardnaar

Legend
PCs had to find stoneskin as well only transmuters would get the choice of picking it.

Then they would have to find a diamond and crush it.

And Fighter's saves became really good at higher levels, LFQW was def something introduced in 3E. Maybe Linear Fighters Doubling Wizards is true in older editions, but man you started from a very low base and it wasn't until the teens that problems arised - or so I gather. I never got beyond 13 or so, and MUs were always fine IME.

Sacrosanct

Legend
There was some power there, but the trick was in successfully casting. It was highly interruptable in 2e to a degree not easily matched in subsequent editions. Initiative, action declaration, and casting time played a significant role in this, though it could be fairly complex at times. Stoneskin may have been a fairly useful counter to that, but it was ablated away by attacks directed at the wizard - whether they hit or not. So it never lasted that long. The material of diamond dust wasn't given a defined cost until Players Option: Spells and Magic and that put it at 100gp/casting. So, unless the DM was handwaving that away, it wasn't the cheapest spell to cast willy nilly.

Save or die spells were also increasingly sketchy as you went up in levels compared to 3e in particular. There was no way to increase the difficulty of the save and the tougher the monster, the easier it made its saves.

Yep. Between spell interruption (every fighter I knew carried a bag of pebbles just for this reason) and a ton of monsters having magic resistance (a % to flat out ignore the effect), and mages still had a fairly rough go even at higher levels. It only took a couple hits even at name level to bring a magic user down.

Zardnaar

Legend
High Level AD&D wizards were easy to interrupt, kill, and their save or suck spells became very unreliable.

A 5E T Rex for example flunks a wisdom save around 75% of the time. A 2E one makes the save 75% of the time.

And 2E magic resistance was the strongest D&D ever had. Unlike 1E damage spells were also capped. It was probably the best balanced of the edition except for 4E but was better to play at mid to high level.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
To be clear, I am not saying that 2e is itself inherently low fantasy, but rather that I want to do low fantasy and I think 2e works better for that than 5e and with less adjustments to either the rules or the implied setting. We played a lot of high fantasy 2e back in the day, too, whether homebrew airship campaigns or epic Dragonlance pastiches. But if you keep magic rare and keep advancement slow and maintain a consistent atmosphere, 2e I think lends itself better to Abercrombie or Martin or any fantasy movie starring Rutger Hauer.

thundershot

Adventurer
Looking back, I had the most FUN playing 2E. I started with BECMI, had a couple 1E books before 2E came out and we graduated to that. Played for 10 years. Definitely had lots of fun adventures in various settings.

3E was all well and good and was very modular and easily customized, but it just took forever for combat. 4E... I won't go there. We moved to PF after a failed 4E experience. 5E, to me, is the best experience and most fun since 2E.

However, there are elements of 2E that I still feel could be incorporated. It's not about limitations for me (you could limit yourself on classes and races all you want). I think it's the flavor of the classes. Mostly the SPELLS. I loved the unbalanced over the top spells. I loved the "save or die" anxiety. I loved the monster entries with ecology and habitat (which you can still use with 5E just not with newer monsters). Also there was monster magic resistance. I loved some of the crazy magic items that could make or break a campaign. I loved how ability scores gave you more than a + bonus to things.

With 5E, I would keep the static XP table. The mostly balanced races. I love how cantrips are early spells are more plentiful. Rogue sneak attack I'd keep. Also the easier multiclassing rules (though the 3.5 mutliclassing was fine).

If I had the time, I'd do test runs on certain things... but I don't...

Remove ads