D&D 2E Returning to 2nd Edition

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Just a minor nitpick...

Unless your DM was playing it his own way (nothing wrong with that :D), no roll for psionics was necessary in Dark Sun as everyone is at the very least, a "Wild Talent":

Also, DS did not use percentile dice for "exceptional" STR... Since the default range was 5 - 20 (4d4+4 being the default rolling method) all characters were "exceptional" by regular D&D standards.

Just sayin' :p
We didn't have access to the Complete Psionics handbook. The other PC had full psionics, not just a wild talent.

And we rolled 3d6 in order, just like vanilla D&D. But now I'm feeling a little ripped off due to that: I could have really used a 20 Dex for my (mostly) rogue--we custom built classes from the section about that in the DMG.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I would love to fine a group in the San Diego area who plays 1e/2e because of everything said JonnyP71 and others in this thread. Sadly I'm not free to find one because of RL stuff. Maybe soon..sigh.

Damn I was in San Diego for a week! Leaving today though, no time :(

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It's awesome that you enjoy playing D&D like stories told in movies and novels. It is. :cool:

But...

[Begin Grognard Rant]

But Do NOT... Do not call my (or other's) games, where there IS an immersive story, but bad, and yes, totally random things (like death from a trap) can happen to the characters, "Hack & Slash" or "Not really role-playing... and not really D&D".

You are far too close to "one true waying" things here, and it's not cool!

You do you, and let other do themselves without saying we don't play D&D or have immersive stories because of things such as random PC death.

You don't like that way of playing? Fine, cool, awesome, good gaming to you; but don't bad mouth mine or other's preferred playstyle because of it!

[/End Grognard Rant]

I didn't spell it out, but this is what I was getting at. There are many ways of playing. It's ok to prefer one over the other, but it's not cool to insist that an RPG *must* have a certain feature that only fits one style of play.

digitalelf

Explorer
I didn't spell it out, but this is what I was getting at. There are many ways of playing. It's ok to prefer one over the other, but it's not cool to insist that an RPG *must* have a certain feature that only fits one style of play.

Apparently, I hit a nerve by pointing out that jgsugden was doing just that, as that person has since blocked me. :erm:

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Apparently, I hit a nerve by pointing out that jgsugden was doing just that, as that person has since blocked me. :erm:
That is unfortunate.

I prefer d&d, and 5e the most, but I think that it is very important that we try other systems, because the system impacts how we play. Variety is good, and for some campaigns d&d is not the best system.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases