Last Man Standing: Best D&D Modules

Lost City - 23 + 1 = 24
Desert of Desolation - 25 - 2 = 23
Isle of Dread - 21
Castle Amber - 26

My friend is running me through Pharaoh. Railroad city... absolutely awful.

Difficult choices, these are all great.

Lost City - 22
Desert of Desolation - 23
Isle of Dread - 21
Castle Amber - 27 - this would be my favourite for an expanded remake

Desert of Desolation opens up in part 2, but it illustrates the inevitable trade-off between strength of plot and player choice. Part 3 illustrates just how difficult it is to design a high level adventure without getting whacky.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
Lost City - 22
Desert of Desolation - 24 +1
Isle of Dread - 21
Castle Amber - 25 -2

Lost City is an undeveloped snack, it's something WotC would add to a bigger module like Saltmarsh or Desert of Desolation as filler. Isle Dread has or is being redone, I forgot which. Castle Amber is set in a none D&D world.

Desert of Desolation on the other hand has depth, size, exotic locations, world building, wonderous experiences, creativity, and more. Wilderness and cities.

Last edited:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Amber_(module)

Averoigne is from Clark Ashton Smith stories, not a D&D world.

I know where it's from, but that doesn't make it a "non-D&D world". There is no rule that a adventure must be set in an official world, and can't be set in a world from a book.

And in this case, the story follows the familiar trope of lifting the players from the world they are in, and transporting them to a different world (with the likely motivation of trying to get back home). So the start can be set in whatever world your players are currently in.

Desert of Desolation was originally a "generic" adventure, and not set in any particular D&D world.

gyor

Legend
I know where it's from, but that doesn't make it a "non-D&D world". There is no rule that a adventure must be set in an official world, and can't be set in a world from a book.

And in this case, the story follows the familiar trope of lifting the players from the world they are in, and transporting them to a different world (with the likely motivation of trying to get back home). So the start can be set in whatever world your players are currently in.

Desert of Desolation was originally a "generic" adventure, and not set in any particular D&D world.

I suppose you could adjust Castle Amber to place in a Ravenloft Domain.

I suppose you could adjust Castle Amber to place in a Ravenloft Domain.

You could, or you could leave it as Averoigne. Since the adventure starts, and probably ends in whatever world the party is native to it doesn't really matter where they go in between.

Also see: Dungeonland/Land Beyond the Magic Mirror.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases